Thread: Thermostat doesn't come on until it's freezing in my house ?

Post Likes

Thermostat doesn't come on until it's freezing in my house ?

A year ago, we had a Goodman furnace installed and at the same time a new Honeywell Pro TH4110D stat. (furnace is two stage, stat is single stage - but goodman says this is correct set up, the board in the furnace controls the stages not the stat) anyway...... Since this time, we've noticed that our house becomes freezing before the stat kicks the heat on. The heat (when on) works really well, nice and toasty, but afterwards we're waiting way too long for the stat to come on again. House has to get freezing before the stat clicks on between cycling.
    ** I've adjusted the CPH many time, both up and down and haven't noticed much of a difference at all. Is it too sensitive, or not sensitive enough ? Should I move it to another wall ? Should I try a different brand, or better Honeywell model.

- we're freezing

Post Likes
    If you house is truly getting down near "freezing" before the heat comes on, there's probably something wrong with this new furnace and not the thermostat. Call them back and have them fix it. I'm not familiar with Honeywell thermostats, but sounds like more than a simple thermostat problem. Call them back.

Post Likes
    Sorry, I didn't mean freezing literally, I meant really cold, like we're constantly 'waiting' for the stat to come back on and cycle heat again. How sensitive could the stat be to what's behind the sheet rock there? I think there is a pipe back there or duct carrying hot air to the upper level, would this effect it ? As I have no other clue what to do other than move the stat to a colder part of the house but that seems a bit extreme.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    If there is a heat source near the thermostat, it could be the source of your problem.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Is a TV, light, stereo, computer, or any other electronic device near the thermostat.

May just have a defective thermostat. It shouldn't let the temp drop 1°, let alone several degrees. how many degrees below what you have it set for, does it allow teh temp to drop.

Post Likes
    Behind the sheet rock of where the thermostat is lies the furnace exhaust and heating duct to upper level (yes, pure genius these builders), however the sheet rock is sealed off and I insulated the back of the stat, could this still have an effect on it ? - it can heat up the sheet rock wall ??
    My old 'analog' stat that was there when I moved in was not effected in this way.

of note : Same stat is used for our central a/c in the house and that works perfect, never a problem
    odd

Post Likes
    It's literally like the stat isn't "cooling off fast enough" as the rest of the house, so we're always waiting for it to catch up so the heat will come on again

Post Likes
    Take a thermometer and check if the thermostat location is the same temp as the center of the room.

Post Likes
    If you have a heat source behind the thermostat, it is heating up everything around that thermostat. Insulating the back of the thermostat does nothing to prevent the thermostat from seeing all the heat that surrounds it.

Your old analog thermostat had a heat anticipator. The new digital ones don't. You need to move the thermostat to a different location.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    If you move the stat I would reccomend using at least an 8 conductor wire so that you can use a 2 stage stat for heat and in the future if you or someone else decides to install a heat pump or 2 stage air conditioner then you will have enough wires for that application as well

Post Likes
    Is it possible its miswired

Post Likes
    If it is because of the duct behind then I would suggest upgrading to a Honeywell focuspro thermostat with a remote indoor sensor. Put the sensor where you spend most of your time. This will help offset poor design layouts.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    How would all this explain why a/c works fine, just not the heat?
    Is there a specific stat i could use to bypass this problem?
    Thanks !

Post Likes
    a jumper wire
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    when the heat is supposed to be on, is the thermostat showing that the heat is on?

room temp=62°

set to 63° or higher

does thermostat indicate if the heat is on, does it make a click sound or show a little flame in the display?

if stat is not activating, the that is the place so start. if stat is working, then look to the furnace or wiring.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shankle View Post
    How would all this explain why a/c works fine, just not the heat?
    Is there a specific stat i could use to bypass this problem?
    Thanks !
    why would a furnace heat source affect the room when in cooling mode?
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Have you called the installing contractor back to check it? If so, what did they suggest?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in