Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello all,

I am having an issue with my home warranty company. I had a new compressor (Payne PA13) put in BUT the guys could not get the end off my coil to install the TXV. Now I am stuck buying a new coil to make my system 13 SEER. Any ideas? Am I really looking at buying a new coil? Thanks for your help.

If it's an older coil, it will have to be replaced in order to get the 13 SEER efficiency.

IMO...if you can get the matched coil for your outside unit it would be a benefit, probably will be better performance and it might help extend your factory warranties..............

Warranty co's have had issues w/ code compliance and DOE ratings... they are NOT responsible for upgrading your system - only keeping it functional. I know it's splitting words... but if it runs, it's functional.

You'll be on your dime to upgrade the coil.

When faced w/ this delima we give our customers the option to opt out of repairs and credit the value of the repair towards new product. If you're going to stay in the home 3-5 yrs, upgrade at least the coil.

Make sure your contractor gets a permit.

Thank everyone!

Thanks for the info. How do I match the coil to the outside unit? Should I check the Payne site to get a matching coil? Can I get it cheaper online? Any suggested sites or members have one for sale? Thanks again.

Cheaper on-line!

Knock yourself out - make sure you keep that # handy when it doesn't work.

YOU need a professional.

Your best bet is the matching coil, but on your dime. I'd save the $$$ on the warranty next time, and pay for the new matching coil/txv. It will save you in electric. However, could the company not cut the housing to your old coil to install a txv???? Hmmmm.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Coil/13 SEER upgrage issue

No, they could not unscrew the end of the coil where they needed to install the TXV. It was stripped and would turn but not come off. Any suggestions?

Not really a problem if all you had changed was the compressor.

HUH? What does that mean 'not really a problem if you had changed was the compressor'? This whole issue is about the coil being compatable with the compressor. Keep in mind that I am a novice here so please educate me. I am under the impression from everyone else that you have to change both, the compressor AND the coil.

When you say that the compressor was changed it means only a part of the outdoor unit was changed and no upgraded coil should be needed. If the whole outdoor unit (condensor) was replaced then you would need a new coil to match it. Hope this helps. Good luck
    Its a good Life!

Have your contractor match a coil to the new condenser. The new unit will last longer and be more efficient.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Ooohh! Thanks Kilgore. That helps a lot! I was getting my terms mixed up. I will go ahead and get a coil to match. Everybody has been SO helpful. Now, the million dollar question is the price. Can anyone give me a price range to look for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast