Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking Service/Maintenance accounts with you when changing jobs

I am considering changing from one commercial shop to another, and I have a few questions about legally approaching my best customer accounts to come with me. To back up, anyone at my current company is made to sign a form that says we won't leverage our current knowledge of facilities to steal customers if we leave. Many companies have a similar form, yet accounts follow technician to new jobs every day.

What are my rights as a technician in approaching accounts that are very happy with my service? And what are those customers rights in choosing whoever they wish for HVAC service and maintenance? Thanks,

IJR

You have the right to change jobs without harrassing the customers. Change jobs, drag ego.

Change jobs but don't take the customers with you. They aren't your customers. They don't pay you, they pay your employer. Its a dirty thing to do. If you leave and your customers decide to follow you that's one thing, but if you bad mouth your current employer so that they will follow you, well thats a completely different thing. Bad mouthing is unprofessional. If there are issues state there are issues and drop it. Don't rag them out.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk 2

If you APPROACH your current employer's customers you've worked for, then you could end up in a legal situation. Your employer may take legal action against you personally and you'll have a real mess. If you must leave, then leave, and if the customers follow you, it's THEIR choice, not yours. Good luck.

Why would you want to get customers for your new boss? Don't be surprised as soon as he secures the accounts you get kicked to the curb for a lower paid replacement.

Getting your x-boss customers for your own business, you could do that but see a lawyer first they would advise you best.

It's a low thing to do, however it may not be illegal. Depending on the State you are in an employer has no right to restrict your ability to make a living without paying you to do so. In other words an employer can have you sign an agreement that you can't take customers with you but unless there is a specific non compete agreement in which fair compensation is paid, after you leave, it is invalid. You can still get sued and have to hire a lawyer, but in most cases without compensation you would win. Not worth it at all.

I wouldn't bother, if you're not starting your own thing don't bring anyone unless they freely follow you and your new boss gives you a finders fee. I worked with guys who had a customer or two follow them to every company they went to, that was the customers choice as they were tied at the hip.

The opposite is true also. Have had guys who "I'm gonna leave and take all my accounts with me" They leave and no customers follow them. One person does not control the destiny of the whole company.

you should just open your own company if you have that good of customers

Don't burn any bridges. You never know when you'll need to cross them again.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwruss View Post
    Don't burn any bridges. You never know when
    you'll need to cross them again.
    Well said

I have found when I changed jobs that the customers who like me and my work ethics soon followed me on their own. Change jobs, let the rest go.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

many mechanics think this is a huge reality and boon to their new employer. oftentimes, its just talk and customers dont follow. if they do, your new boss gets a bit of new business, big deal. if you think you are THAT tight, open a business, and see how many follow, chances are, waay less than you think.

my take, leave them, they arent your to begin with, they were likely aquired by your former boss. shake their hands, offer to help the new guy if needed, walk out of there with head held high. If you really are that good, they will FIND YOU. then you can be doubly proud, you left as a man, and they came to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast