Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892

    Need some advice

    Hello, and thanks for reading this.

    A bit of history. I have worked for a customized commercial HVAC manufacture for the last 12 years, first as a electrical assembler working on control panels, then testing units to make sure everything in functional, setting the charge, ensuring proper cooling and heating. Doing this I have learned a fair bit about these system, and am thinking about switching over to service. I was wondering about how to go about this. I do not have the time or money to go through a school program, and I already know alot of what they would teach me, no where near enough to consider myself a tech or mechanic really though. The shop has basically taught me the bare bones, and there are skills that I need to improve. I would really appreciate some advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    965
    .

    Do you have your EPA card? Is there a community vo tech center nearby?
    ..
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post
    .

    Do you have your EPA card? Is there a community vo tech center nearby?
    ..
    Working on getting my EPA card at the moment. There are plenty of places around but I have to work at the same time, and I would not be eligible for student loan assistance. Miss spent youth. Some really messed problems with student loans while attempting to get a degree in Comp Sci. I don't have the money to pay out of pocket, due to family problems and garnishments that I can't seem to get fixed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    965
    .

    The vo tech centers are where a lot of employers will contact instructors for good prospects.

    You'll need an EPA Card to get a serious consideration ....

    A possiblity might be with a residential / lite commercial company thats hiring installers.
    ..
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post
    .

    The vo tech centers are where a lot of employers will contact instructors for good prospects.

    You'll need an EPA Card to get a serious consideration ....

    A possiblity might be with a residential / lite commercial company thats hiring installers.
    ..
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a really weird skill set at the moment I have figured out already, which is why I was looking for advice. I have experience with stuff that lot of new hires would not have, but am lacking a lot of basics that they would know. I know more about TXVs, hot gas reheat, digital scrolls and other options that we outfit our units with but lack knowledge for things like orifice/pistons. Hell I have more expeince with 410a and 407 then r22.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    965
    .
    You'd not be considered unusual around here. We've got a least five (or more) major
    manufacturers around town. Lots of guys swinging in and out. They'll work 7 - 4 with
    bennies and then get laid off or sick of it and move over into service in the field. They
    get stuck in the loop until they have their licenses.
    ..
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post
    .
    You'd not be considered unusual around here. We've got a least five (or more) major
    manufacturers around town. Lots of guys swinging in and out. They'll work 7 - 4 with
    bennies and then get laid off or sick of it and move over into service in the field. They
    get stuck in the loop until they have their licenses.
    ..
    Good to know I'm not alone in this. I think I work for the only HVAC manufacturer in this area. I was hoping to learn more when I moved from electrical assembly, but they seem keen on keeping me from picking up certain things. They do have a history of losing people from their testing positions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    965
    .

    There's likely people working in the plant, supervisors etc., that are licensed. Check around.

    Find out who's doing installs / changeouts and offer your services.
    ..
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post
    .

    There's likely people working in the plant, supervisors etc., that are licensed. Check around.

    Find out who's doing installs / changeouts and offer your services.
    ..
    I know of three. I have been trying to do this. They don't seem to like the idea of help, even when I have been offering it free of charge just to get the experience.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Emerald Coast
    Posts
    965
    .

    Then send them some work and be there to help.

    You have to be patient ... and have your EPA.

    The last thing they need is someone getting hurt. (A good Pro
    can make the job look easy, it isn't and can be pretty dangerous)
    They'll prefer to use family members for some very good reasons.
    ..
    Last edited by Sleuth; 09-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.
    ...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatsleuth View Post
    .

    Then send them some work and be there to help.

    You have to be patient ... and have your EPA.

    The last thing they need is someone getting hurt. (A good Pro
    can make the job look easy, it isn't and can be pretty dangerous)
    They'll prefer to use family members for some very good reasons.
    ..
    Thanks for the advice. It is very much appreciated.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    chicago burbs
    Posts
    75
    Curious as to what a customize hvac manufacture shop is? Is it a company that designs commercial systems to then be installed for a customer or a manufacturing plant that builds then ships to hvac companies? Does this outfit have any paid education benies?

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by leaker2 View Post
    Curious as to what a customize hvac manufacture shop is? Is it a company that designs commercial systems to then be installed for a customer or a manufacturing plant that builds then ships to hvac companies? Does this outfit have any paid education benies?

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    We basically build what ever the customer wants. Units ranging from 3-40ton. Customized controls ranging from compressor lockout to DDC with customized sequence of operations. 100% OA units or recirculating or combos. Electric heat, or gas, natrual gas or liquid propane, ranging from 100,000 BTU 600,000 BTU We will take customer supplied parts, ranging from sensors and controllers to heat exchangers and install them in our units. Air to Air, Air to water, and Water to water. Basically what ever the customer wants. The company is actually hurting pretty bad, so no they don't offer much in the way of education. I have been with the company through three different owners, the second of which basically ran us into the ground quality wise. We have been attempting to rebuild our reputation for a number of years now, and the economy is not helping much. Do to all of this I have some expience with some weird combinations and setups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event