+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need tips on finding on job in NY

Post Likes

Need tips on finding on job in NY

I am currently looking for an apprentice level position within New York City. I have a year long experience with an HVAC company. I'm a rapid learner, and a skill needed in the HVAC department. I am currently looking for a helper position within this field, preferably a union job. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or possible employment please feel free to advice me or hire me

Post Likes
    Unions are okay but too many guys are jumping out of em right now due to lack of work. Guys getting out of all union trades... Find yourself a good company, you won't make union pay but you'll have work everyday.

Post Likes
    Oh okay, and i thought it was the other way around. Regardless thanks for the heads up!

Post Likes
    Whats happening is that all trades are pulling new apprentices in but booting the guys on unemployment who have 5 years or more due to difference in pay scale. You'll get up there in pay just give it time.

Post Likes
    Give Donnelly Mechanical a call....718 886 1500...info@donnellymech.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by canusayinsanity View Post
    Whats happening is that all trades are pulling new apprentices in but booting the guys on unemployment who have 5 years or more due to difference in pay scale. You'll get up there in pay just give it time.
    Let me get this straight. The unions are laying off experienced techs so they can hire untrained apprentices to do the same job at lower pay? Isn't this one of the reasons Unions were created in the first place?

Post Likes
    638B shops do the hiring and laying off.... the union has no say who stays or goes redgardless of years in the union..some NYC companies i know of will do it to keep the hourly rates down on construction jobs..try Trane LIC they are in the middle of winter maint and very busy
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    638B shops do the hiring and laying off.... the union has no say who stays or goes redgardless of years in the union..some NYC companies i know of will do it to keep the hourly rates down on construction jobs..try Trane LIC they are in the middle of winter maint and very busy
    What you are saying is that the shops have the unions iun there back pockets. I know I hijacked this thread but this trade off between Unions and Managment is nothing new it started way back in the 80's with alot of weaker unions that were on the verge of losing there choke hold on the companies they were into.

Post Likes
    just for argument 30% of union shops in NYC that work the metro area are 638A/638B that means installs and then contracts after the jobs are signed off....the owners don't care what happens to the B side as long as the A is doing installs.some shops run teams of A guys but others use them(call the hall) but you never hear of them except when you walk into a start up..most of the owners,VPs are in the union either on the tresurey board ,training programs,and what goes on with the B guys within there companies i wonder how those guys sleep at night.say you get layed off after 10yrs with a union shop..and there are apprentices still working there good luck getting a BA into the office to find out why there not gong to bite the hand that feeds them $$$$$$....
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in