Bryant AC/Furnace Questions

I wanted to start a new thread so contractors familiar with Bryant could pipe in.

I am glad I took some of you guys advice by checking out other brands/contractors. I guess I should not have focused in on just one brand, or be sold on one contractor.

Today the Bryant contractor came out and gave me his bid. He was cheaper than both the others and from what I gather on comparable equipment.

Since I have done little checking into the Bryant brand, can someone let me know if this is a good spilt-system?

Bryant Air Conditioner - Model 116BNA030000 (Legacy line)
    Bryant Coil - Model CNPCP3117ATAx
    Bryant Furnace - 986TA42060V17 (Evolution line)
    Thermidistat - Model T6-PRH01x

As always, thanks for all your help in this very difficult decision for my family and I.

Bryant is the same thing as carrier with a different badge on it. A little secret is there are only 7 or 8 major brands that sell the same eqipment under about 100 different names. Bryant is to carrier like what American standard is to trane like Coleman is to York and so on, nordyne has like about 15 that are the same. That sounds like a good system but I'm not to savvy on carrier/Bryant since no one reps it in my town.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Bryant is the same thing as carrier with a different badge on it. A little secret is there are only 7 or 8 major brands that sell the same eqipment under about 100 different names. Bryant is to carrier like what American standard is to trane like Coleman is to York and so on, nordyne has like about 15 that are the same. That sounds like a good system but I'm not to savvy on carrier/Bryant since no one reps it in my town.
    Thank you!

I would ask them to install the "E-Z Flex" hi-eff. filter (it's standard with that furnace).

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I would ask them to install the "E-Z Flex" hi-eff. filter (it's standard with that furnace).
    Is the cabinet included because he didn't mention that. I do have two 20x20 returns on each end of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    Is the cabinet included because he didn't mention that. I do have two 20x20 returns on each end of the house.
    Yes, to ur question. Are the 20x20 filter grilles?

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    I found that most contractor will reuse the existing filter rack and "drop" to save on materials and labor, i.e; to be more competitive.

Is it in the homeowners best interest? NO!!!!!

The larger filter, with more surface area, is far better for a number of reasons, i.e; higher efficiency, better airflow and quiets the system.

I found that most contractor will reuse the existing filter rack and "drop" to save on materials and labor, i.e; to be more competitive.

The larger filter, with more surface area, is far better for a number of reasons, i.e; higher efficiency, better airflow and quiets the system.
    Thanks for the tip.

An evolution furnace should have an evolution controller, not just a thermidistat. Otherwise you might as well save your money and get the identical midrange "preferred" series furnace. The LEgacy is a cheaper outdoor unit. THe same compressor, jsut a cheaper case and non-communicating. The Evolution will still control it, but it won't be communicating like an evolution condenser but will still allow the enhanced humidity control.

The big question is how he determined you need a 2.5 ton AC and 60k BTU furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    An evolution furnace should have an evolution controller, not just a thermidistat. Otherwise you might as well save your money and get the identical midrange "preferred" series furnace. The LEgacy is a cheaper outdoor unit. THe same compressor, jsut a cheaper case and non-communicating. The Evolution will still control it, but it won't be communicating like an evolution condenser but will still allow the enhanced humidity control.

The big question is how he determined you need a 2.5 ton AC and 60k BTU furnace.

I was wondering this as well. I sure didn't think this process would be so difficult. I like educating myself, but with the internet, I wonder if I have over-educated myself trying to get the best unit at the best price. They all have their +'s and -'s.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post

+1 to those.

Communicating furnace without recommending the communicating stat would make me a little concerned about knowledge and/or where sales persons interests lie.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    +1 to those.

Communicating furnace without recommending the communicating stat would make me a little concerned about knowledge and/or where sales persons interests lie.
    And that is where I am right now.