+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leak Lock

Post Likes

Leak Lock

Has anyone found a thread sealer for refrigerant fittings that is better than Leak Lock. Over the years I have found a lot of refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors. I have always used Leak Lock on the threads in the past and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Post Likes
    There's a thread about a product called 'Nylog'. I've never tried it, but other guys say it is better than the blue stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    There's a thread about a product called 'Nylog'. I've never tried it, but other guys say it is better than the blue stuff.
    Nylog is pretty good stuff.

On a fitting that is going to be PERMANENT, I suppose that LeakLock is OK, but if there's a chance I'm going to want to take it apart, I'm using nylog.

Post Likes
    The nylog is great stuff but you have to use different ones for r-22 and 410a, so it has worried me with cross contamination, but it is impressive and does work better than leak lock

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hkempf View Post
    The nylog is great stuff but you have to use different ones for r-22 and 410a, so it has worried me with cross contamination, but it is impressive and does work better than leak lock
    The HFC version is backwards compatible.

No need to carry 2 bottles.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Ditto on the loctite 554, doesn't come apart easily but it works great.

Post Likes
    Nylog works well... But I like using loctite 567 on those drier core fittings...
    Also works great on those old discharge gas thermostats on 06E compressors. Leak lock will never seal those.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Nylog works well... But I like using loctite 567 on those drier core fittings...
    Also works great on those old discharge gas thermostats on 06E compressors. Leak lock will never seal those.
    X2
    I carry tubes of both on my truck.

Post Likes
    I HATE LOC-TITE!!!....used it for ohhhh soooo many years, and if it gets hot or cold it will eventually leak. Works wonders on those hot discharge plugs and head sensor threads. Awesome on discharge/suction service valve cap threads, and on any gasket or O-Ring I install.

NYLOG is true nectar from the Gods. Will NEVER go back to LOC-TITE.

Post Likes
    Thank you jpsmith I was wondering about that but all the info I find I vague

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors.
    In this situation, it's hard to beat a combination of.

Teflon tape & loctite

Post Likes
    Can't stand Leak Lock! Got called to look at a walk in cooler that previous tech had covered the txv connections and orifce in the stuff, no room to do anything, took ages to clean it all of as it sets like stone.

Been using Tru-Blu by Rectorseal for years on taper threads without any problems, comes apart again if needed.

Post Likes
    For NPT fittings, 3 wraps of teflon tape, with a thin application of Loctite 567. The best way to go. Never had a leak doing it this way. Quit using Leak Lock years ago.

Post Likes
    Never used the nylog, never seen it, but will be getting some now. I have used the blue stuff, sparingly, over the years with success. What I hate about the stuff is the guys who apply it with a calking gun!! I cuss non stop when chiseling the stuff off.

Post Likes
    I have used RectorSeal for the past year without a single issue. Think I may try nylog now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by B1978 View Post
    I have used RectorSeal for the past year without a single issue. Think I may try nylog now.
    Sounds like a personal problem to me! Or maybe something you need after a long weekend of partying....

Post Likes
    i'd really like to start an organization that strictly opposes the use of leak lock. the resi/commercial install dept. at my employer uses it regularly on refrig/gas pipe fittings. its straight up garbage. it cures and hardens like concrete. you know how many unseated flares, plugged up metering devices and service ports that couldn't take a hose fitting i found this summer? too many to count. have fun cleaning it off afterwords.

nylog for refrigerant seals, mega lock or gripp for gas pipe/water threads. end of story. let us never discuss this again......
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Post Likes
    Leak lock sucks

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    Leak lock for schmoes, nylog for pros.
    End of discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in