+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak Lock

Post Likes
    I finally found some Nylog and plan on using it soon. I got the HFC type even though I will be using it on a mineral oil system. I read that it is semi compatible with mineral oil. I don't plan on getting it inside the system anyways.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Has anyone found a thread sealer for refrigerant fittings that is better than Leak Lock. Over the years I have found a lot of refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors. I have always used Leak Lock on the threads in the past and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Dont know which shell your working on (sherman?.) maybe new gasket/oring and proper torque and sequence? Only asking, never had to use a product on a shell cover. However I have seen Nylog on compressor head gaskets. I imagine that would work.

Post Likes
    Something I've never heard anyone say about Nylog is that it should be used WITH thread tape on NPT fittings. This is from the instructions on Nylogs website.

I use Nylog on flares and gaskets and a few other things like assembling txv's. For NPT fittings I use leak lock, it always seems to work just fine. Follow the instructions and allow it to set for a few minutes before assembly and I've never had an NPT fitting on a refrigeration system leak.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy View Post
    Leak lock for schmoes, nylog for pros.
    End of discussion
    ohhh my god I need some nylog, I'm not a schmoe, nylog...nylog... better than slice bread, I'm running to the store ... must get some nylog... nylog ohhh my god nylog I'm not a schmoe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STSMech View Post
    Dont know which shell your working on (sherman?.) maybe new gasket/oring and proper torque and sequence? Only asking, never had to use a product on a shell cover. However I have seen Nylog on compressor head gaskets. I imagine that would work.
    He was talking about the brass 1/4"SAE access port fitting that screws into the head of most large filter shells, not the shell seal itself. Even though I personally put a small film of nylog on the new cover o-ring gasket before I bolt the head back down.
    I just have made it a personal habit to use it on any gasket, O-ring, any threaded item, valve caps, or whatever it may be that is trying to prevent refrigerant from sneaking out. Stuff is truly Nectar from the Gods.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STSMech View Post
    I'm talking about the threaded hole in the cover where you can install a access fitting. I have seen at least 20 shells with leaks around the access fitting that had Leak Lock on it.. I usually remove it, run a tap down the threads and install a new fitting with Leak Lock. Sometimes it seals and sometimes it doesn't.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    Something I've never heard anyone say about Nylog is that it should be used WITH thread tape on NPT fittings. This is from the instructions on Nylogs website.

I use Nylog on flares and gaskets and a few other things like assembling txv's. For NPT fittings I use leak lock, it always seems to work just fine. Follow the instructions and allow it to set for a few minutes before assembly and I've never had an NPT fitting on a refrigeration system leak.

All of the "leak stoppers" have their ideal application like y7turbo said.
    I carry and use at least 3:

1. Nylog for mating surfaces.
    2. True Blue for pipe threads.
    3. Leak lock for leaking glands,"pack them glands and pack em good boy".
    4. lock tight for SAE/metric threads
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in