Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak Lock

For NPT fittings, 3 wraps of teflon tape, with a thin application of Loctite 567. The best way to go. Never had a leak doing it this way. Quit using Leak Lock years ago.

Never used the nylog, never seen it, but will be getting some now. I have used the blue stuff, sparingly, over the years with success. What I hate about the stuff is the guys who apply it with a calking gun!! I cuss non stop when chiseling the stuff off.

I have used RectorSeal for the past year without a single issue. Think I may try nylog now.

Quote Originally Posted by B1978 View Post
    I have used RectorSeal for the past year without a single issue. Think I may try nylog now.
    Sounds like a personal problem to me! Or maybe something you need after a long weekend of partying....

i'd really like to start an organization that strictly opposes the use of leak lock. the resi/commercial install dept. at my employer uses it regularly on refrig/gas pipe fittings. its straight up garbage. it cures and hardens like concrete. you know how many unseated flares, plugged up metering devices and service ports that couldn't take a hose fitting i found this summer? too many to count. have fun cleaning it off afterwords.

nylog for refrigerant seals, mega lock or gripp for gas pipe/water threads. end of story. let us never discuss this again......
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Leak lock sucks

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Leak lock for schmoes, nylog for pros.
    End of discussion

I finally found some Nylog and plan on using it soon. I got the HFC type even though I will be using it on a mineral oil system. I read that it is semi compatible with mineral oil. I don't plan on getting it inside the system anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Has anyone found a thread sealer for refrigerant fittings that is better than Leak Lock. Over the years I have found a lot of refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors. I have always used Leak Lock on the threads in the past and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    Dont know which shell your working on (sherman?.) maybe new gasket/oring and proper torque and sequence? Only asking, never had to use a product on a shell cover. However I have seen Nylog on compressor head gaskets. I imagine that would work.

Something I've never heard anyone say about Nylog is that it should be used WITH thread tape on NPT fittings. This is from the instructions on Nylogs website.

I use Nylog on flares and gaskets and a few other things like assembling txv's. For NPT fittings I use leak lock, it always seems to work just fine. Follow the instructions and allow it to set for a few minutes before assembly and I've never had an NPT fitting on a refrigeration system leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy View Post
    Leak lock for schmoes, nylog for pros.
    End of discussion
    ohhh my god I need some nylog, I'm not a schmoe, nylog...nylog... better than slice bread, I'm running to the store ... must get some nylog... nylog ohhh my god nylog I'm not a schmoe

Quote Originally Posted by STSMech View Post
    Dont know which shell your working on (sherman?.) maybe new gasket/oring and proper torque and sequence? Only asking, never had to use a product on a shell cover. However I have seen Nylog on compressor head gaskets. I imagine that would work.
    He was talking about the brass 1/4"SAE access port fitting that screws into the head of most large filter shells, not the shell seal itself. Even though I personally put a small film of nylog on the new cover o-ring gasket before I bolt the head back down.
    I just have made it a personal habit to use it on any gasket, O-ring, any threaded item, valve caps, or whatever it may be that is trying to prevent refrigerant from sneaking out. Stuff is truly Nectar from the Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by STSMech View Post
    I'm talking about the threaded hole in the cover where you can install a access fitting. I have seen at least 20 shells with leaks around the access fitting that had Leak Lock on it.. I usually remove it, run a tap down the threads and install a new fitting with Leak Lock. Sometimes it seals and sometimes it doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12