Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 26

Thread: Leak Lock

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    469

    Leak Lock

    Has anyone found a thread sealer for refrigerant fittings that is better than Leak Lock. Over the years I have found a lot of refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors. I have always used Leak Lock on the threads in the past and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,460
    There's a thread about a product called 'Nylog'. I've never tried it, but other guys say it is better than the blue stuff.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    There's a thread about a product called 'Nylog'. I've never tried it, but other guys say it is better than the blue stuff.
    Nylog is pretty good stuff.

    On a fitting that is going to be PERMANENT, I suppose that LeakLock is OK, but if there's a chance I'm going to want to take it apart, I'm using nylog.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    nampa idaho
    Posts
    66
    The nylog is great stuff but you have to use different ones for r-22 and 410a, so it has worried me with cross contamination, but it is impressive and does work better than leak lock

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by hkempf View Post
    The nylog is great stuff but you have to use different ones for r-22 and 410a, so it has worried me with cross contamination, but it is impressive and does work better than leak lock
    The HFC version is backwards compatible.

    No need to carry 2 bottles.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,376

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Ont.
    Posts
    490
    Ditto on the loctite 554, doesn't come apart easily but it works great.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,148
    Nylog works well... But I like using loctite 567 on those drier core fittings...
    Also works great on those old discharge gas thermostats on 06E compressors. Leak lock will never seal those.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Nylog works well... But I like using loctite 567 on those drier core fittings...
    Also works great on those old discharge gas thermostats on 06E compressors. Leak lock will never seal those.
    X2
    I carry tubes of both on my truck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Salt Lake City/Tooele
    Posts
    2,466
    I HATE LOC-TITE!!!....used it for ohhhh soooo many years, and if it gets hot or cold it will eventually leak. Works wonders on those hot discharge plugs and head sensor threads. Awesome on discharge/suction service valve cap threads, and on any gasket or O-Ring I install.

    NYLOG is true nectar from the Gods. Will NEVER go back to LOC-TITE.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    nampa idaho
    Posts
    66
    Thank you jpsmith I was wondering about that but all the info I find I vague

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    refrigerant filter shell covers that have leaks around the threads of the brass MPT connectors.
    In this situation, it's hard to beat a combination of.

    Teflon tape & loctite


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    336
    Can't stand Leak Lock! Got called to look at a walk in cooler that previous tech had covered the txv connections and orifce in the stuff, no room to do anything, took ages to clean it all of as it sets like stone.

    Been using Tru-Blu by Rectorseal for years on taper threads without any problems, comes apart again if needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event