We have a heat pump system and last night the temps got down to about 34degrees. The tstat was set at 72 and the air coming out of the register was 87 degrees. Is that a pretty good reading from the register when the temps are down to 34?

Should have been close to 92 degrees. In case the strips come on it would be above 100 degrees.

Make sure the filter is clean and all the supply grills are open. If it is a split system the out door or in door coil might need to be cleaned. If a package unit check the coil.
    Blue Fox

Should it still be 92 degrees at the register if its only 34 outside?

Depends upon airflow and the equipment. And where you are reading. Accurate way is right over the air handler, not at registers.

With normal 400 CFM/ton, I'd have expected a bit more. With a scroll I'd expect more like 25 rise, maybe 20 with a recip.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Depends upon airflow and the equipment. And where you are reading. Accurate way is right over the air handler, not at registers.

With normal 400 CFM/ton, I'd have expected a bit more. With a scroll I'd expect more like 25 rise, maybe 20 with a recip.
    Is there a logical reason why scrolls heat better than recips? If compressor is rated at x BTUs/Hr @ specific conditions, it shouldn't matter what type it is.

I have heard a technical explanation why this is but it was way over my head. Maybe Norm or someone else could explain it.