Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell Pro4000 T-Stat Compatible with Trane XV80?

Post Likes

Honeywell Pro4000 T-Stat Compatible with Trane XV80?

Hi,
    I recently had a new unit installed in the upstairs of my house that included a Trane 3 Ton XR15 and XV80 80K BTU Variable speed furnace.
    The thermostat that was installed is a Honeywell Pro4000 (Model # TH4110D1007.) I had several issues during the install that caused me to no longer fully trust the HVAC Company.

They claim this T-stat is a match for my system (I assumed I would be getting a Trane T-stat but it was not specified in the quote.)

Can someone tell me if this is a compatible T-stat with this system to get its full capabilities?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    I am not a "Trane" guy but I am a fairly seasoned hvac guy. The stat is single stage heat, and your furnace is probably a 2 stage heat furnace. Which means it can run at a lower btu. rating and if it needs to, kick into a higher btu. furnace (give you more heat).
    You could have a 2 stage thermostat do this for you, but I prefere the furnaces "timer" to do it. Which means that if the furnace is on for ten minutes and doesn't satisfy the stat the it automatically goes to "high" fire. Its possible that you don't have enough strands at the thermostat from the wire to do a 2 stage furnace, so yes, the thermostat is OK and capable. You would need to listen to the furnace for 8-12 minutes to hear it shift up to see if your contractor flipped the dip switch for this option

BTW, sound like you chose some nice equipment.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Post Likes
    Its compatible. But it can not give you the full benefit of the furnace you have.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-09-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Steveo86, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses.

Any suggestions on what T-stat I should ask them to replace it with that can give me the full capabilities of the system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slowingdog View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Any suggestions on what T-stat I should ask them to replace it with that can give me the full capabilities of the system?
    If there are enough strands of wires at the thermostat, or a new wire can be pulled to this location, then any 2 stage heat thermostat will work. I really like Honeywell thermostats. If there are not enough strands and a new wire is impossible to pull, then Honeywell makes a thermostat called an "IAQ" thermostat. I am sure you have enough strands for this one. But keep in mind that the current thermostat will work and give you all the benefits, the only difference is that the thermostat doesn't control the 2nd stage heat, but a timer in the furnace does, and I like to have the timer do the work instead of the thermostat. That's my preference.
    The IAQ stat can also have an optional outdoor thermistor added to it to always display outdoor temperature on the screen. And if you have a humidifier, than the thermostat can operate the humidifier with more precise accuracy than a conventional humidistat would. They are pricy though but it is the best thermostat out there. It also has other features too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    ...the only difference is that the thermostat doesn't control the 2nd stage heat, but a timer in the furnace does, and I like to have the timer do the work instead of the thermostat. That's my preference.
    Could you elaborate on why you prefer the furnace timer method to the thermostat? Thanks.

Post Likes
    Yes I can. I have had some customers, usually older folks, where the thermostat is calling for low fire for 30 minutes and they complain that the old furnace never ran that long. So where the timer does the 2nd stage, then after 8-12 minutes it steps up to high fire and satisfies the thermostat quicker. Also i have had 2 stage furnaces where the installer didn't set it up correctly and it has only fired on low fire and since it wasn't wired correctly, they complain that the new furnace ran their gas bill up.

Post Likes
    My preference is a 2 stage stat because it's the best utilization of multi-speeds. The timer doesn't know anything but time. Temperature should be controlling 2nd stage as its the best indicator of load.

I educate my customers and don't cripple their furnaces they paid for. If I try to educate them and if they want it to blast heat for a few minutes and shut off, they I will set it up the cheap way.

By the laws of physics, there is no possible way a furnace that runs on low stage and should have run on High drove up any gas bill.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    A timer is like having a toggle switch for the heater in your car. When the car is cold and needs the most heat, you turn it on low. Then when the car warms up, you turn the heat to high until you can't take it and then turn it off. Over & over. We sold the he!! out of the 2 stage 80s then 2 stage 90s when they came out. All went on 2 stage stat. I can think of 1 old lady that had trouble, the rest all raved about the comfort, especially on a bitter cold morning when the furnace ran non stop. After all, that's what you do in your car. You find a gentle low level and never shut it off.

The problem is, most dealers cripple the expensive furnaces the customers paid for without educating them on the comfort level they could have. These days 2 stage stats are hardly any more than single stage. Click on that purty touchscreen that appears in the ad on the right at times.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    A timer is like having a toggle switch for the heater in your car. When the car is cold and needs the most heat, you turn it on low. Then when the car warms up, you turn the heat to high until you can't take it and then turn it off. Over & over. We sold the he!! out of the 2 stage 80s then 2 stage 90s when they came out. All went on 2 stage stat. I can think of 1 old lady that had trouble, the rest all raved about the comfort, especially on a bitter cold morning when the furnace ran non stop. After all, that's what you do in your car. You find a gentle low level and never shut it off.

The problem is, most dealers cripple the expensive furnaces the customers paid for without educating them on the comfort level they could have. These days 2 stage stats are hardly any more than single stage. Click on that purty touchscreen that appears in the ad on the right at times.
    BaldLoonie I'm a little confused as to what you are suggesting. I believe you are on the side of getting a stat that can handle the 2 stage? If so that seems like the preferred route to take. I just need to convince my HVAC comapny to do it!

Thanks!

Post Likes
    If your furnace is oversized like most you can just disable the 2nd stage entirely. It isn't needed for most installs. A 2 stage stat would be handy for faster recovery from setback.

Post Likes
    Yes, I am a firm believer in a 2 stage stat. The comfort advantage in bitter weather is there. When it gets bitter cold, why constantly cycle between low, high & off? A gentle low for long run cycles keeps you so much more comfortable. Just like you do in your car.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Yes, I am a firm believer in a 2 stage stat. The comfort advantage in bitter weather is there. When it gets bitter cold, why constantly cycle between low, high & off? A gentle low for long run cycles keeps you so much more comfortable. Just like you do in your car.
    Plus if you use a stat like the IAQ, it brings on second stage when it determines the homes heat loss is at 90 percent of first stages ability. So you don't have hours on end in low stage with the temp below set point. Which makes the home much more comfortable.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=BaldLoonie;14373451]Yes, I am a firm believer in a 2 stage stat. The comfort advantage in bitter weather is there. When it gets bitter cold, why constantly cycle between low, high & off? A gentle low for long run cycles keeps you so much more comfortable. Just like you do in your car.

Question then. The focus pro thermostat that you can set up for gas heat or heat pump with aux. heat has a selection for "Comfort" setting and "economy" setting. By what I read is that comfort will allow the electric back up to come on easily, where as the economy setting will try to keep the electric back up off as much as possible. Also the cycle rate calls for 9 cph. that is too much in extreme cold outdoor weather. I usually set the back-up cph rate to 3 or sometimes less thinking that when its time for electric heat, then lets run it. What do you think Baldloonie?

Post Likes
    I leave them on 9 for electric heat personally. If someone complains, which I haven't gotten any, I suppose longer cycles could help but might result in wider temp swings.

Post Likes
    Hi, OP here. I finally got the HVAC company to come out and install a new stat. They put in a Honeywell Pro 6000 model TH6220D this time.

I believe this stat will control my system correctly but what I am not sure of is whether the installer set the stat up correctly for my system. Everything is still set to the honeywell defaults including system type (1) set on 0. Should that be on 0 or should it be on 7 (2heat/1cool conventional)?

Thanks for the advice!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I virtually always set the aux and emergency CPH to 3. Never had anyone complain that it over shoots or has too wide of a temp spread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in