What To Look For In A Warranty?

i am not good at reading the fine print, and even if i did, i am sure I wouldn't understand it. So what should a homeowner look for in a manufacturer warranty? Do all brands pretty much have the same coverage?

trusting and choosing a good contractor is what I would be concerned with...they will explain it..... and no all brands do not have the same coverage
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Expect at least a 5 year warranty for the compressor and parts. Many brands are moving towards a 10 year parts warranty. You can also purchase an extended warranty for parts and labor if you feel it is needed.
    As mentioned in the earlier response, the contractor will make the difference. Consumer Reports reached the same conclusion several years ago in their air conditioner article.
    In general, I steer clear of the cheap brands because they are cheaply made, no matter what warranty they offer.
    Last edited by kdean1; 10-07-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I totally agree with the above .... they are cheaper for a reason
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    i am not good at reading the fine print, and even if i did, i am sure I wouldn't understand it. So what should a homeowner look for in a manufacturer warranty? Do all brands pretty much have the same coverage?
    Yes most all equipment has a 5 year parts, coil and compressor warranty. If you are thinking about buying a new a system, you can register it and get 10 year warranty.

When does the above not apply? If you have a commercial building then the warranty is 1 year parts warranty and 5 year compressor warranty.

Most contractors offer a 1 year labor warranty if they install the system. If you are thinking of buying check into extended warranty that will cover labor. They are offered in 5, 10 and 12 year warranties depending on the equipment selection.

I look for the guy standing behind it.