Getting a white mold build up on ductless heat pump

Getting a white mold build up on ductless heat pump

Hey group,

Got a while mold looking build up on a Fujitsu indoor head, its caked on the blower wheel. Had to bring head back to the shop and blow the heck out of it, and system was just installed less than a year ago. Ive never seen this before, Fujitsu says its just a normal PM issue. Any idea guys on whats causing this?

Thanks,

Rob

Link removed. You may not advertise until you become a Pro Member.
    Last edited by Dad; 09-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Are you sure it is mold? Maybe it is due to high humidity and a dirty air filter?

Normal for a mini split in a dirty house, or when they are used during construction.

I just remove the wheel and wash them out, no need to remove unit.

You can disassemble the whole unit while on the wall, Fujitsu offers dissasembly instructions. If its mold regular treatments with BioFresh CD might be required to prevent growth on the fan, I have seen this on equipment that is oversized for the space its installed in.

Caution with breathing this dust. There are various fungi that get started in any damp area that can cause health problems with sensitive people. To avoid growing these type of biologicals, you need to dry out the equipment everyday for several hours. Fan "on" mode for part of each day may reduce the problem. If the space never dries out, biologicals grow. Some stink, look bad, or even worse make sensitive people sick. Surfaces that flush with condensate tend not to have the problem. Damp for +24 hours without flushing grows things.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks guys. So i should use bio fresh cd on a regular basis? I havent been to the home, i cleaned the head when i had our tech bring it back to the office, a lot easier than dis assemblying it took air to it. As far as it being oversized its a inverted compressor so its only gonna operate at the required btu's space needs correct? Do you suggest cusomer operates system in dry mode a few times a week? I gotta meet the conservation guy at home next week to address the issue so i can see the house then. I can test the humidity level then and this all started cause customer complained of smell. Thanks for all the helpful info guys

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_pdx View Post
    Thanks guys. So i should use bio fresh cd on a regular basis? I havent been to the home, i cleaned the head when i had our tech bring it back to the office, a lot easier than dis assemblying it took air to it. As far as it being oversized its a inverted compressor so its only gonna operate at the required btu's space needs correct? Do you suggest cusomer operates system in dry mode a few times a week? I gotta meet the conservation guy at home next week to address the issue so i can see the house then. I can test the humidity level then and this all started cause customer complained of smell. Thanks for all the helpful info guys
    You need a couple of hours per day of thorough dry time every day to avoid mold growth. Home owner should monitor %RH on a daily basis. <50%RH is suggested for comfort and avoiding mold. VS a/c runs high % of time but most are unable to maintain <50%RH when low/no cooling load. 24/7 monitoring %RH will inform all. If unable to maintain <50%RH, add small whole house dehumidifier.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"