Trane XR13 vs XR15

I've come down to the part of my selection process where I'm seriously evaluating options and choices. I've pretty much decided on Trane XV95 furnaces for both systems--it was either that or the XV80, and my local gas company is offering a rebate on 95% furnaces that make the upgrade to the XV95 a no-brainer.

We live in central Arkansas, so AC is a necessity, not a luxury. After looking at all the ways I could spend large amounts of money on Trane's upper-end bell-and whistle condensing units, I've come to my financial senses and am looking at more moderate options without going I'll-regret-it cheap. (As we all know, the low bid isn't always the best value.)

Right now, I'm looking at the XR13 vs the XR15. I know the XR15 has a little better SEER number, but as far as I've been able to determine the difference isn't enough to save me huge bucks on my electric bill. The XR15, of course, costs a bit more. However, there is a modest rebate from Trane through the end of the month. I know prices are forbidden here, so I'll just say that with the modest rebate the price difference is small enough that I wouldn't let it keep me from buying the more expensive unit if there is a compelling reason to do so.

The warranties are the same. They even look the same (in the pictures I have, at least). Is there a compelling reason (reliability, quality, performance, etc) to go with the XR15 over the XR13?

One last thing as long as we're talking compelling reasons. Without going to the significant expense of a 2-stage condenser, is there another model in the line that pairs particularly well with the XV95? Some compelling reason to pop a little more for that option? I have limited funds and am looking at two systems, so it's gonna be a chunk of change, but I'm willing to stretch a little if there's a compelling reason to do so (other than a salesman looking for better commissions, that is).

Any real-world experience or insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

D.

That far south, and with a rebate from Trane, I'd think the upgrade will be worthwhile in terms of payback. THE XR15 I think is slightly quieter with it's larger coils and may have a more effcient fan blade design. It should be dimensionally slightly larger.

You still might consider pricing out the XL16i. Better humidity control and comfort with 2 stage. Be sure not ot oversize the indoor coil "chasing SEER". The XL16i dehumidification suffers badly in 1st stage with oversized coils.... I know form experience.

Whatever option you go with, get a thermostat that can mesaure and cotrnol humidity and take advantage of the duhumidify on demand feature of the VS blower. Its' just 1 extra wire. Big improvement in comfort being able to control humidity more accuratly. With a properly sized system you might find you can keep it 1-3F warmer because you're managing humidity better.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    You still might consider pricing out the XL16i.
    How about the XR16?

D.

In your case with the rebate it sounds like the 15 seer is a better option than 13, if you go above 15 you are paying for better comfort (humidity control) not a feasible ROI

Figure a XR13 gets 14 SEER with most XV95 matches. The XR15 gets around 15.00 SEER. So, using 1500 hour season which is generous and a 10 cent juice bill which is typical, you save $41 on that 1 point gain. Going 16 SEER over 14 saves $58 a year. So take the premium for the XR15 over the XR13 and divide by $41. That's how many years to break even.

What size A/C in question here?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-08-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Ben44

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities