Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371

    Trane XL20i Heat Pump

    This is the system I recently had installed at my house. I don't take credit for any of the work, but they did a nice job. 4 ton communicating heat pump (XL20i) with matching air handler (TAM8). Also added a bypass humidifier and Honeywell media filter. Total static on high stage (1600 CFM) was around .55" with clean MERV 10 filter (.15 on low - 800 CFM). New properly sized lineset (3/4" x 3/8" is what Trane specs for 4 and 5 ton XL20i heat pumps) was installed. Proper procedure was followed: nitrogen flow, micron gauge, etc. System stabilized using the ChargeAssist feature. New disconnect with a surge protector. New properly sized flex return was added to the basement -- existing was tapped on one of the return trunks (feeding upper level) and was pulling a lot of air (making the basement very negative and never comfortable). We were prepared to balance the system at the end, but per the load calc the system was already well balanced with each room getting the CFM it needed. This replaced an 8 year old R-22 3.5 ton Payne 10 SEER heat pump "mis-matched" to a Lennox air handler. The heat pump had been problematic in the past and ultimately developed a leak. Decided it was time to upgrade to a better functioning, matched system. Hard to get good pictures of the air handler -- small utility space.

    Name:  005.JPG
Views: 1444
Size:  31.8 KBName:  000.JPG
Views: 1419
Size:  25.7 KBName:  001.JPG
Views: 1412
Size:  29.7 KBName:  002.JPG
Views: 1353
Size:  22.4 KBName:  003.JPG
Views: 1331
Size:  24.2 KBName:  004.JPG
Views: 1393
Size:  32.6 KBName:  008.JPG
Views: 1383
Size:  43.2 KBName:  006.JPG
Views: 1272
Size:  41.1 KBName:  007.JPG
Views: 1334
Size:  40.9 KB.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 10-08-2012 at 11:00 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    612
    That big ole heatpump is gonna squish the crap out of that plastic pad! We use concrete!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    That big ole heatpump is gonna squish the crap out of that plastic pad! We use concrete!
    Yeah, in hindsight I do wish they used a stronger pad or a concrete one. It looks stable, not like a 400 lb unit is going anywhere. I think the damage to the pad is done, hoping it doesn't get worse. How hard do you think it would be to fix? If it waa really worth it, I'd offer to pay them to do it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SE Washington
    Posts
    554

    return

    4 ton?, looks to be restricted if all the return is travelling into the short flat box under the air handler
    Total Energy Management, inc

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by isuredo View Post
    4 ton?, looks to be restricted if all the return is travelling into the short flat box under the air handler
    Hyperion air handlers can do side return. Works well when you are limited with verical height. Over 1200 cfm you need to bring in return under the unit too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Yeah, in hindsight I do wish they used a stronger pad or a concrete one. It looks stable, not like a 400 lb unit is going anywhere. I think the damage to the pad is done, hoping it doesn't get worse. How hard do you think it would be to fix? If it waa really worth it, I'd offer to pay them to do it.
    I'll also say that it's been installed for close to 2 months now, and it looks fine and stationary at this point, though the pad did give in a bit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    4,216
    hey Ryan. Did you goto ACCA in rockville?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    hey Ryan. Did you goto ACCA in rockville?
    No, actually I did not. I used a company that had been servicing my system well in the past. I trust them to do good work and stand behind it. They did an all-around good, thorough job including load calc and airflow testing/balancing. The system is working well so far as I expected.

    I've seen some of your jobs -- nice, clean work. I'm sure your customers are pleased.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    The company is actually a member of ACCA, however.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    4,216
    Cool. I had a Ryan in my class when I went to ACCA.

    Was wondering if it was yourself.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2

    Trane Heat pump

    Just glancing through the pictures, seems like the return is extremely undersized, which makes me wonder how you got such great #'s on the static pressure. I know you said an electrical disconnect was installed, but I did not see it within easy reach of the condenser, or even mounted outside looking at the pictures shown. Also, from what I saw you had a honeywell F100 series 4" media filter installed. The 10 MERV rating is not a true rating, test it after 2 weeks of running. The biggest cause of air condition failure is dirt, so if you put such a good system, why not protect it properly? Just saying. Also, there is no problem with a plastic pad, as long as it is a good style and not a cheap one. It makes it easier to relevel should the ground settle. Lastly, it should be raised off the ground for easy drainage and a minimum of a few inches off the ground, or a minimum of the height of a normal snow fall.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    DC Metro Area (MD)
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by treysdad View Post
    Just glancing through the pictures, seems like the return is extremely undersized, which makes me wonder how you got such great #'s on the static pressure. I know you said an electrical disconnect was installed, but I did not see it within easy reach of the condenser, or even mounted outside looking at the pictures shown. Also, from what I saw you had a honeywell F100 series 4" media filter installed. The 10 MERV rating is not a true rating, test it after 2 weeks of running. The biggest cause of air condition failure is dirt, so if you put such a good system, why not protect it properly? Just saying. Also, there is no problem with a plastic pad, as long as it is a good style and not a cheap one. It makes it easier to relevel should the ground settle. Lastly, it should be raised off the ground for easy drainage and a minimum of a few inches off the ground, or a minimum of the height of a normal snow fall.
    I don't know where you get "extremely undersized" from -- maybe it's hard to see the return in the pictures. The return includes a 20x14 duct serving two central 22x22 return grills upstairs and downstairs (split trunk). A separate 6" flex return was added to the basement on a 12x12 grill. Being such a short, straight run, the 6" flex was providing 200-250 cfm when we tested the entire duct system using a flow hood. Did not want to make the basement too negative. This in addition to the existing 20x14 was fine for 1600 cfm at reasonable static when tested. The system spends most of its time at lower demand airflow anyway.

    The disconnect is hard to see, but in pic 7 it's behind the slim duct covering the lineset.

    The "MERV 10" filter after about 7 weeks has begun to load up a decent amount (evenly at least). I was considering just replacing it with a MERV 8 filter for a bit less pressure drop. What are you recommending instead of the MERV 10 filter?

  13. #13
    We have been using the composite plastic pads on most of our installs for 4 years now and have never had one come back smashed or bent in. I think its a good alternative to concrete. I know the guys like it much better! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event