Installing addition.... How well will a ductless mini split HP work in Massachusetts

A couple I know is installing an addition onto the back of their house, and their heating system is sized perfectly for their house as it stands now. They wanted feedback on whether replacing their current unit which will cost ALOT of $$$$$$$$, or if going with a ductless minisplit AC/HP would be good enough? The house is located in Massachusetts, so it does get cold and I dont want to give them any false hope for the cold days. The addition is attached to the rest of the house and will recieve some of the heat from the other portion of the house and is only 350SF big, I know a manual J would be required to correctly size it though.

Ready
    Set
    GO!

Quote Originally Posted by SBres22 View Post
    A couple I know is installing an addition onto the back of their house, and their heating system is sized perfectly for their house as it stands now.

The addition is attached to the rest of the house and will recieve some of the heat from the other portion of the house and is only 350SF big, I know a manual J would be required to correctly size it though.

Ready
    Set
    GO!
    What does perfectly sized mean?

Minisplit sounds like the perfect solution, if it's even needed.

Load calcs are theoretical, and often complete fiction if not reconciled to the real world. Its the beginning of arriving at good design, too many consider it the end.

What does the load calc say annual consumption should be. What IS annual consumption. Are the two close? If not, would you consider that calc "good"?

And how in depth is your interview. How do they manage tstat, do they have comfort issues, etc... You can have some pretty weird behaviors impacting comfort and energy, you need to sniff them out so they don't bite you, or turn your design to crap.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

We have installed quite a few ductless HPs here in New Hampshire & the heat works great. The efficiency drops around freezing as with any heat pump, but the Daikins will run you out of the room if you let them.

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

I bet a mini will work great.

Just remember that somewhere in the cold they may shut off. We put in a Fujitsu couple years ago and it still did great at -4°, the coldest it has been since installation. Others may say in the 0 to 10 range. But if they understand that on a bitter cold -10 night it may not be on, great. If they need that room in such weather, I'd stick a hunk of baseboard for backup.

Mitsubishi hyper heat to -17

striaght air and electric baseboard. how big is the room?

Could alway get a Amish electric heater
    We really need change now

Mitsubishi Hyper Heat

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    striaght air and electric baseboard. how big is the room?
    ewww............Mitsubishi will save 70% over electric.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced