+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluke vs Fieldpiece

Post Likes

Fluke vs Fieldpiece

I ve been using a fluke meter forever and always trusted it,recently my fluke started acting up and decided to go with the fieldpiece,anyone else use fieldpiece? Have you had any problems? the thing i dont like is it never wants to read zero seems like it never wants to settle on zero,now when i take a reading it does settle out on the voltage there,i guess iam gonna just have to get used to it,maybe i just go and get me another fluke and keep the fieldpiece for backup. Starting a split changeout in a attic today,i was lucky enough to get one that was still working and the customer says to wait till the weather cools down before you start working in the attic.the thing is they called in the summer and the drain had stopped up so i spent a couple hours removing blower and cleaning it and the coil and drainpan so the ahu is like really clean,if it was already 410a i would just leave it,the old unit is a 21 years old tempstar and the evaporater dosent leak,wow,i think ill just put the old one to work in my building out back to keep my bass boat warm.

Post Likes
    never had any issues with fieldpiece meters, always thought fluke was over priced, and that opinion got worse after they purchased amprobe
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Fluke is not cheap. Fluke is quality. I'd go Fluke. Just my $0.02. Your safety depends on reliable test equipment when working with electricity. If not Fluke, make sure it is fused.

CT

Post Likes
    I like fluke better

Post Likes
    I love my UEI testers

Post Likes
    I use the UEI- G2 in my service bag. All in one troubleshooter with no attachments. I use specialized testers when needed and fluke has some good ones. The shop buys those so I don't care. But for the money and durability UEI is what's in my bag.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    I use the UEI- G2 in my service bag. All in one troubleshooter with no attachments. I use specialized testers when needed and fluke has some good ones. The shop buys those so I don't care. But for the money and durability UEI is what's in my bag.
    Never used field piece myself so don't Know about them.

Post Likes
    I use fieldpiece & would buy them again. You get used to the "no zero".

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

Post Likes
    i am a field piece user and i have a couple of flukes ... my meter has been very trust worthy i have had 4 field piece meters .. they are
    versatile , the magnet and strap are like a third hand ... beeping high voltage , handy when trouble shooting control circuits on racks . capacitance checker very handy , temp probe handy checking subcooling and superheat on the fly ... amp clamp connects to leads which is very versatile in tight spots .... unit also has non contact voltage feature great when checking glass door heaters , power cords etc.
    min max current , dc volts , micro amps , and capacitance ,,,, in the field over 25years ... thats my 2 cents

Post Likes
    Only buy the Fluke models made in the USA! They have a longer warranty and higher price then their outsourced models. I've used fluke since i was a kid playing with my fathers so thats all i trust when it comes to playing with high voltage Did you know you can fit a penny into a receptical? I did around age 4-5 oops!!. Fluke makes models for everyones price range but dont think its worth buying the low end models.. Like anything else higher quality items cost more and usually have a better warranty. I have used other brands and have nothing against fieldpiece but i trust my life to my fluke 28II, 1587 megger and a 179 i lent to a friend and it has appeared to disapear!! I did buy a 327 clamp meter with the iflex to for safety and convenience.......I confess... i am addicted to tools i have way to many meters and digital refrigerant analyzers. I reallly wish the AK900 had clamp sensor temp probes i made my own but i find it crazy they don't develop an oem model. I do like the sensors with the rubber boots and velcro straps. They do work well but take longer to attach and time is money and extra 2-3 minutes adds up quickly. I was considering popping out my testo thermisters and pop in the digicools thermister in their place. The think is i do like my testo DRSA especially my new 570 so i can print results to show customers. I do have have the sman 3 but am letting another employee using them this summer until he can get his ak900's. I rather have him gettting accurate measurements and prevent callbacks. Customers LOVE when they see you using "high-tech" tools on their equipment. You can then explain to them how things work which make the customer feel more at ease know you know your ISH!! rather then the guy with his analog guages and thermometer trying to set superheat without wet bulb measurements.

MY all time favorite with new customer is " i've never seen any other techs using tools like the ones you have" i just smile and say you have someone that know what their doing now. I mau cost more but if you want to done right these tools cost money!! lol SORRY for stealing the thread!!

BTW, Combustion Analyzers blow customers away. You should them how poorly their systems been running for so many years.... I've found many brand new gas furances with two/three stage heating with gas pressures so off they were luck they didn't kill people and set the places on fire.

Post Likes
    nicely put nytefog, yes i also love to tell customers i like the high tech more acurate instruments, so they get the most efficeniency out of their system. i am currently using the sman 3, what do you think of the ak900 compared to it, i have been thinking of switching, i dont care about the superheat calculator since i use a fieldpiece srh3, and dont trust the vac guage, whats your opinion

Post Likes
    Fluke was the tool to have 20 years ago. Now im not so sure. I have two that i use a 902 and a 116, not sure if chinese or usa made no label. Put one temp probe in ice water and there is 17 degrees difference between the two meters. One reads 2 degrees low and another 15 degrees high. They are both only a couple years old and well taken care of. I dont abuse my tools. Im looking at fieldpiece myself for some replacements.

Post Likes
    Like Nytefog said, I also buy Fluke because its hands down the BEST meter you can buy. I bet my life with it every day when I use it.
    When working with 460 volts 3 phase every day that meter needs to work and with-stand the harsh environment on a daily basis.
    I got a trusted meter which is an old Fluke 27. It was the best in its day and still works great. Sure I have had it re-calibrated because I need accuracy not guess work. Oh and it does zero out better than any other meter which I have. Its not my every day meter though. In my bag a normally use a Fluke 902 which has a CAT III rating @ 600 Volts and is True-rms. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will not read below 10 micro fared for capacitance. No big deal for me though as I normally don't require such a low reading, and when needed I break out my new Fluke 87v.

Now the Fluke 87v is a must have for me. I got jobs where I can not bring a meter that has less than a CAT IV @ 600 volts and this meter is rated @ CAT III 1000 volts. This meter has it all. Its great when servicing VFD's as it easily reads hertz. Amperage is easily read with the use of the i400 current clamp. Great for start ups so that the enclosure can be closed. Beware of the arc flash.

That reminds me of the time when we were in a very large panel and when one other the guys said he was gonna go out and get his meter. (A real meter) and the electronic genius that worked at the plant wiggled his way in between us and landed his meter on the buss bars and that toy meter blow up. Thank god he did not hurt himself or the guys standing around.

Sure I have used the cheaper brands in the beginning of my career when I started. But after seeing videos and u-tube clips on arc flash explosion. Never Again will I use a cheap meter.

Post Likes
    I grew up on fieldpiece and like the accessories. I bought a fluke and have it for a spare. I have had issues with my fieldpieces mainly in the temp areas but then I dont treat them like I should either. I'm pretty rough on my my tools.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Post Likes
    I use fluke and field piece, the fluke 902 is my backup to my fp hs36. I also like the fp bag for the hs36 you can actually fit fuses jumper wires wire nuts etc in it, my fluke bag is barely big enough for the meter itself.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    I grew up on fieldpiece and like the accessories. I bought a fluke and have it for a spare. I have had issues with my fieldpieces mainly in the temp areas but then I dont treat them like I should either. I'm pretty rough on my my tools.
    I'm very rough on my tools as well. This is why i either buy very good quality tools that can withstand my punishment or very inexpensive tools that i can replace often and easily. Any tool that if its malfunctioning could cause me to lose my life i make sure to buy the most reliable and well built. I consider a voltage tester and CO & combustable gas detection devices to be on the top of my list not including eye, ear, breathing, and skin protection devices.

I'm pretty particular about tools and almost always have replacements available. It only took one time of having something breaking during a job. Ever since, i have certain replacement tools i keep on hand at all times. Same thing with certain parts.

I'm not a big fan of the Fluke 902. I don't like its resistance/cont. testing. I don't find it to be accurate enough. I keep my 902 in my personal vehicle for emergency. I just put lithium ion Batteries in it so i don't have to worry about them failing for 10 years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alcomech View Post
    Like Nytefog said, I also buy Fluke because its hands down the BEST meter you can buy. I bet my life with it every day when I use it.
    When working with 460 volts 3 phase every day that meter needs to work and with-stand the harsh environment on a daily basis.
    I got a trusted meter which is an old Fluke 27. It was the best in its day and still works great. Sure I have had it re-calibrated because I need accuracy not guess work. Oh and it does zero out better than any other meter which I have. Its not my every day meter though. In my bag a normally use a Fluke 902 which has a CAT III rating @ 600 Volts and is True-rms. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will not read below 10 micro fared for capacitance. No big deal for me though as I normally don't require such a low reading, and when needed I break out my new Fluke 87v.

Now the Fluke 87v is a must have for me. I got jobs where I can not bring a meter that has less than a CAT IV @ 600 volts and this meter is rated @ CAT III 1000 volts. This meter has it all. Its great when servicing VFD's as it easily reads hertz. Amperage is easily read with the use of the i400 current clamp. Great for start ups so that the enclosure can be closed. Beware of the arc flash.

That reminds me of the time when we were in a very large panel and when one other the guys said he was gonna go out and get his meter. (A real meter) and the electronic genius that worked at the plant wiggled his way in between us and landed his meter on the buss bars and that toy meter blow up. Thank god he did not hurt himself or the guys standing around.

Sure I have used the cheaper brands in the beginning of my career when I started. But after seeing videos and u-tube clips on arc flash explosion. Never Again will I use a cheap meter.
    So if my non-fluke meter is rated CAT 3 and certified by IEC, UL, and CE, it is somehow less safe to use than a Fluke???

Post Likes
    if you feel safe with it use it,i tried a yogagawa once and while on a roof the outdoor temp was like 100 and the thing lied to me
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    So if my non-fluke meter is rated CAT 3 and certified by IEC, UL, and CE, it is somehow less safe to use than a Fluke???

Post Likes
    i was shocked,lol
    Quote Originally Posted by buzhall View Post
    if you feel safe with it use it,i tried a yogagawa once and while on a roof the outdoor temp was like 100 and the thing lied to me

Post Likes
    I have both and have never had a problem with either. I like FP for the price and versatility over FLUKE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in