Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fieldpiece looks alot like the old Beckman meters that were the HVAC industry standard in the '80's after the Simpson 260. The engineer left Beckman and went to Fieldpiece.Fieldpiece has always been mainly for the HVAC industry, providing meters with Milliamps, Temp, microfarad, DC AC volts,etc. these meters are tough, reliable and accurate and are made for cold, frozen, and wet rooftops as well as nasty boiler rooms.
    These meters are made for our trade. They can be used by electricians, but are made mainly "FUBU" that is "for us by us".

Let's look out for our own. Brea,California, USA.

But the choice is yours.
    "Iron sharpeneth iron..."

HS 36 Field Piece

I also recently changed to an HS 36 Field Piece after using ideal or flukes for 2 decades. The Field Piece does have that really weird number generator feature in AC volt test mode.. I found myself carrying 2 meters in my hand to do even menial testing because I was unsure of what the meter was really reading when I first started using it. The field Piece does have the beep and light "on" function that triggers at a certain real voltage, but wouldn't a stable "0" volt reading be more comforting and desirable ? I guess now I am going through a paridigm shift and now believe that the random 300 volt reading on my display really means " circuit dead" ... Am I missing something about this feature ?

I have an older Fieldpiece SC67-at least approaching 10 years old. Used heavily over the years, seldom dropped(just a few times). Still works well. I never had a Fluke or even used one..........I don't have to......I will be buying another FP based upon the success i've had with this one.
    http://fieldpiece.com/clamp-meters/sc67
    KX500......the original big green meanie

I just recently purchased the Fluke 902 Clamp meter after doing some research on many clamp meters. My dad has always had fluke and they seem very durable. So far I have been satisfied with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by hammons_joseph View Post
    I also recently changed to an HS 36 Field Piece after using ideal or flukes for 2 decades. The Field Piece does have that really weird number generator feature in AC volt test mode.. I found myself carrying 2 meters in my hand to do even menial testing because I was unsure of what the meter was really reading when I first started using it. The field Piece does have the beep and light "on" function that triggers at a certain real voltage, but wouldn't a stable "0" volt reading be more comforting and desirable ? I guess now I am going through a paridigm shift and now believe that the random 300 volt reading on my display really means " circuit dead" ... Am I missing something about this feature ?
    Your reading 300 MV so ya it's a dead circuit...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    Your reading 300 MV so ya it's a dead circuit...
    ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for that clarification... I knew I had to be missing something

Has anybody else had problems with the sman 3 pipe clamps.

I have had my sman 3 for under a year.

I haven't needed to use it but a handful of times and I have already broke both clamps. Maybe it's the cold weather or the hot pipe in cold weather. But both clamps broke on the side. Where the metal spring and plastic clamp join.

does fluke make a set of gauges?
    how does this fall into fieldpiece vs. fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by toone75 View Post

just take them back to where you got them from and see them to get you squared away, unless it was ebay; then you're probably SOL
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I dont think you'll go wrong with either, i use F.P. and Fluke, also recently purchased a Klein mm2000 ,seems to be an ok meter (my fluke 110 was getting alittle worn, sick of fooling with the broken knob)

If the 110 was made in the USA it should have a lifetime warranty. Send it back for repair

Quote Originally Posted by toone75 View Post

I have had my sman 3 for under a year.

I haven't needed to use it but a handful of times and I have already broke both clamps. Maybe it's the cold weather or the hot pipe in cold weather. But both clamps broke on the side. Where the metal spring and plastic clamp join.

If you bought the sman3 gauge when they first were released they had a problem with the temp clamps breaking. I got a new set from fieldpiece. I just emailed them.

Quote Originally Posted by hammons_joseph View Post
    ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for that clarification... I knew I had to be missing something
    If it is similar to my Flukes you should see the MV next to the voltage reading instead of V (volts) when that happens, in case you missed seeing that on your meter. I always look for that on any voltage reading I take because I was confused too when I first started using True RMS meters.

I am in maryland currently but when I finish tech school will be moving to Florida
    You can't go wrong with a Fluke ....... if it worked for years why change brands?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast