+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: york SSS fault- mystery

Post Likes

york SSS fault- mystery

I have a york YT with a SSS starter. It has a millennium codepak panel. It goes off on "starter malfuntion detected". when I arrive at job site, the chiller is off, the display is reading 658 volts, 742 amps, 327% FLA. the actual FLA is 275 i think @ 480volt. I hit the reset and it starts up just fine. I have seen the display read voltage going up and down { 200 to 600 volts up/down/up/down}. The customer replaced the trigger board but it still does it. I check for loose connections, all were ok. I dont know what else to look for. every time i am there it's not acting up. Also, when it goes off on this fualt it pumps all the oil in the evap--why?

Post Likes
    if you have amp draw, the oil pump better be running...just in case. the trigger board talks to the logic board which then talks to the microboard. check your logic board to microboard wire harness and connections...J6 i think.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    The oil pump is running. I will look at harness between micro and logic. It is intermittent and seems like voltage and amp reading goes up and down at same time. As far as oil loss, seems like the oil pump stays running after the SSS fault. Why?

Post Likes
    What is the fault the chiller is locking out on, on the logic board? Have you checked the connections to the CT's or check the resistance of the CT's. With the oil migrating to the evap what is you condenser water temp? Is your oil eductor working? How long will the chiller run before it faults and locks out? Have you checked your power supply voltages? Is your control voltages correct?

Post Likes
    That's the thing, there is no codes on the logic board. And the c/t's ohm out the same and match my amprobe. The chiller will run from 6 hrs to 6 days. No pattern. All voltages check good. All connections seem good. NOW FOR THE OIL...... I am glad you pulled my head out. They have the chilled water valve stuck open when chiller is off and cold water going through it. I feel like an idiot. I should have caught that. On a good note, yes the inductor is clean and does return oil when machine is running.

Post Likes
    The starter is energized without micro-processor commanding starter to start. If Microprocessor sees current draw it turns on oil pump to save compressor bearings. Usually more of problem on old electomechnaical starters.
    A LITTLE BIT OF STUPID GOES A LONG WAY!

Post Likes
    Thanks Sargent York. It's making some since now. When i arrive at job site.
    1. the chiller is off{ not running}.
    2. The micro is showing high amperage, high voltage, high FLA
    3. chill water valve is open.
    4. Oil tank is low.
    5. Machine off on low oil press.

This explains oil loss. Now I have to figure out mystery SSS fault.

Post Likes
    I guess the SSS fault would be high amps, high voltage, and/ or high FLA. What can cause this. I know it's not actually high , I was at the machine when these readings started going up and down. I checked voltage it was ok. Unfortunately this problem don't last long enough to trouble shoot it.

Question ; when these yorks go off on a fault, does the micro take a snap shot of what the machine was doing at time of fault and store it on the display ?

Post Likes
    check your output signal of the CT thats sending signal to the board, I had a Carrier 19xl do the same all voltages and amps were good but getting a wrong signal from CT.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiller Tex
    Question ; when these yorks go off on a fault, does the micro take a snap shot of what the machine was doing at time of fault and store it on the display ?
    On a single line panel, the last three shutdowns are stored in the buffer. You have to have a printer to access this info. You can't get it from the display.

Post Likes
    I have this same problem in my case is an electromechanical codepak YSCACAS2 with starter panel

Post Likes
    Tex: What's the complete model # of the chiller and the part # of the microboard?

Post Likes
    M# YTG1A3C2-CKH

I can get the micro # in morning.

Post Likes
    What make is SSS?

Post Likes
    When you are reseting the chiller are you just cycling the rocker switch or are you pressing the reset on the logic board?

Post Likes
    I reset the rocker. There are no LED's lit on logic board.

M# SSS 14L-46A

Post Likes
    It's probably your logic board. Do you have the wiring diagram for the Style "A" solid state starter? Check to make sure that you have good voltages on the board. Second have you checked the test points on the microboard? Have you tested the power supply output voltages? They all should be within a tenth of a volt. Make sure you use a good meter like a Fluke 87 V. Thats the meter I use and have never had a problem with it. Double check all of your AC and DC voltages. If they are off you will get weird operations.

Post Likes
    Tex: You need to put in for pro status and get this discussion to the other part of this forum. It's gettin' a bit deep for the opens.

Post Likes
    york2004

Have you checked the connections to the CT's or check the resistance of the CT's.

that resistance must have the ct?

Post Likes
    K love,
    Ok. How do I do that?

And yes I have a style A book. I am machine now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in