Thumbs up Time to start a career! Newbie long island NY

Hello everyone im about to turn 21, have worked for the past 2 years at a Sign and Graphics shop. Long story short there is no room for advancement in this company and was just a job not a career. i currently have signed up for Boces in oakdale long island for hvac. Its a 3 month mon-thur program. Ive been slowly reading on here and have learned that sitting in the classroom and not getting field work is not the best thing. For now its a step in getting my foot through the door and learning a little. I will be done in December then will look for a helper position. I have also read some small stuff on here about the Unions? Could someone help me out with a website or how to get into contact with them, or go about the union. One I have read i believe was 639? in NYC. Any other info or tips you guys could provide to help me get on my feet with this path would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

it is 638 and covers LI companies based on the island that work in the metro area.you get in the union when a union shop hires you.you need to call around to see if a helper is needed going to school for 3 months and getting out at Christmas time will be a reality check for you when it will be spring 2013 before you are considered by anybody.3 months in Boces isn't a foot in the door sorry for the "cold water in the face".you need to just slide into a shop for now and pick up what you can till 2013 summer which in the long run will beat out any school by far.try Apollo in Deer Park they handle all those Reckson buildings you see driving around out here,might be looking for a filter/maint guy in one of there office buildings...Sav-More,Inter-County,FW Sims,County Fair...all 638 shops.if they take you on as a apprentice/helper within 45-60 days your in the union...if you do connect the union runs a training program you go to once a week then work the other 4 days in the field and the company pays you for the full 40hr week...try that Apollo first.figure out what your training was with that graphic job organized on time completing jobs will transfer over into the HVAC field to be a plus to take you on.21 is a good age keep focused on the next ten years for when your 31 it is really going to be tough getting in with 21yr olds breathing up your back...as an older guy...i'll keep an eye open for jobs and apprentice positions get a "pro" level TAG...on here so you are into all the groups to view stuff....being a guest giving out job info to guest is limited...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Greatly appreciate the help/info
    Maxter. I will look into thoose shops starting with Apollo. I signed up to the boces class about a month prior to finding this website maybe I can get my money back and focus more on finding a helper position first, if not at least I will be learning a little something. In the sign shop I've worked with numerous hand tools, metal and bending of metals. Taking measurements. I'm hoping some of these will help me out in the HVAC field. Thanks again!

Apollo has a duct shop so that might be a avenue and not doing service.if you end up in just servcie that metal bending will go by the wayside...so consider it.installations maybe you don't need boces for that.check over in CL in jobs/skilled type in HVAC and search LI .Heritage in Deep Park is a bigtime union #28 sheetmetal shop,but i'm not up on how to get in there? service is 638B they are EMCOR group.they have guys in the heat of the summer doing duct work in the parking lots with sunglasses on...might want to drive around in a AC'd service van...one thing is you can't be service and do sheetmetal it's either install or service...get my drift!!!! union or not.if you could get into Apollo just to be thrown into a building doing maint.all fall/winter that is a confidence builder...believe me..
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

i will look into that! thanks again

Just sent over a resume to Apollo, hoping for the best