+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wire tracer

Post Likes

Wire tracer

I deal with a lot of controls, and most of the systems we service are three phase. I feel like a wire tracer would save me a few headaches at times. What are some good wire tracers out there. Does anyone use one, have one, or plan on getting one? I have been looking at the fluke pro 3000 tone and probe kit. Any reviews? Any recommendations? Thanks guys.
    2nd generation commercial technician

Post Likes
    I have one that i bought from Lowes.... It works. Ideal brand

I rarely use it but its nice when I need it.

Ohm your wires out when you find them though. Just to be sure..
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmstech View Post
    I deal with a lot of controls, and most of the systems we service are three phase. I feel like a wire tracer would save me a few headaches at times. What are some good wire tracers out there. Does anyone use one, have one, or plan on getting one? I have been looking at the fluke pro 3000 tone and probe kit. Any reviews? Any recommendations? Thanks guys.
    I have the fluke pro, I have been very satisified with it and would highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    i own the fluke intellitone.. works well for control wires. but i dont think your going to be able to tone much larger then 16 awg
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    How does a wire tracer work compared to just ohming the wires out with my dmm. I have never seen one. I usually just put my meter on continuity am I doing it all wrong. Still pretty green in the field

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    How does a wire tracer work compared to just ohming the wires out with my dmm. I have never seen one. I usually just put my meter on continuity am I doing it all wrong. Still pretty green in the field
    Sorry no one ever responded, much quicker then ohming out. Say you have a bundle of wires at a panel and wires stretched out in a general area. You hook up the tone generator to the 2 wires in the field and then go back to the panel and run your probe over the wires til you pickup the tone, seperate that wire out and retone to make sure it wasn't interference or the other wire you were picking the tone up through. Mark your wires, rinse and repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    I have a Fluke pro3000. I don't use it often, but when I do it saves a lot of time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in