difference between heat vs emheat on a forced air Trane unit

Disclaimer: I'm a first time homeowner, and have only been living in the house for less than 6 months. Please bear with me as I learn!

The house is about 28 years old in the Northern Delaware area. It is an all electric heat pump (forced air) system, with the furnace and a/c are almost 2 years old.

Inside the house is a Trane XR402 Comfort Control. It has heat and emergency heat (emheat). So my main question is when should I use heat vs. emheat? I vaugly remember someone trying to explain to me that I should use the emheat when it got very cold, or something like that. But I wanted to post here to see what more specific advice I could get.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by noknownone View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a first time homeowner, and have only been living in the house for less than 6 months. Please bear with me as I learn!

The house is about 28 years old in the Northern Delaware area. It is an all electric heat pump (forced air) system, with the furnace and a/c are almost 2 years old.

Inside the house is a Trane XR402 Comfort Control. It has heat and emergency heat (emheat). So my main question is when should I use heat vs. emheat? I vaugly remember someone trying to explain to me that I should use the emheat when it got very cold, or something like that. But I wanted to post here to see what more specific advice I could get.

Thanks in advance!
    Typically, and only if your system has the options and was installed correctly, emergency heat is electric strip heat bypassing the heat pump function. Adding to this it is sometimes acceptable to use the strip heaters when the system rolls into a defrost cycle to de ice the outdoor coil, this is done by literally putting the system into "cooling mode" and disabling the outdoor fan...

From an energy usage standpoint, you should only use the emergency heat (EH) when there is a mechanical problem with the heat pump. It will make a substantial increase in your electricity usage making the bill sorta scary....

I hope this answers your question...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

If your furnace is for sure electric I would not ever turn to emergency heat unless the heat pump breaks .since this house is new to you I would call a service company to come and check the unit fr proper operation and explain the best way to operate your system
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    If your furnace is for sure electric I would not ever turn to emergency heat unless the heat pump breaks .since this house is new to you I would call a service company to come and check the unit fr proper operation and explain the best way to operate your system
    Good advice!!! You can ask family and friends about who they use to service there equipment. Then you can call them and let them come out and check the system for proper operation.

Also ask them to make sure heat pump paired with electric air handler with heat pack is wired up properly to only allow the heat pack to come on when the heat pump can't keep up, is in defrost mode or you want to warm the house up fast.

Also you could check into another t-stat such as the Trane/Honeywell 8000 series t-stats. This stat gives a few more options and depending on the equipment in the home might offer more control of the system. The trane 402 t-stat is not a bad stat choose not my personal choose for heat pump system.

Do you by chance no what Trane Heat pump, Air Handler and heat pack you have? If so list the model numbers. This will give us a better idea of the system in your new home.