Urgent help needed: comparing 2 system - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If you went with a communicating furnace you wouldn't need more wires. And for a few pennies a day, you may painfully regret not having the additional features and diagnostics.

Its like saving money not buying heated seats in your new car, then every chilly day for 15 years asking yourself how you could have been so shortsighted. The incremental investment would not be long missed, but the missing feature is.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    ECM is the same with any brand, x13 is the fixed speed high eff motor. Both manufactures make quality equipment. I suggest going with whichever contractor stood out more or flipping a coin.
    does xv95 also have this ecm motor then? I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ghunnell66 View Post
    I WOULD GO WITH CARRIER
    why would you choose that if you were me?

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    If you went with a communicating furnace you wouldn't need more wires. And for a few pennies a day, you may painfully regret not having the additional features and diagnostics.

Its like saving money not buying heated seats in your new car, then every chilly day for 15 years asking yourself how you could have been so shortsighted. The incremental investment would not be long missed, but the missing feature is.
    I prefer not to spend any more money. we are not planning on staying in this house for very long. I just need something with high efficiency that will help with resale or rental value in a few years while keeping us warm til then.

I would go with the trane as it has a varible speed motor (not sure on the carrier) and it is a very reliable and well built furnace .also if you change thermostats to the honeywell iaq you only need 3 wires from the thermostat to the furnace and also does away with the annoying click at the tstat plus it can be wired for dehumidify on demand
    We really need change now

I would go with the one who states the
    Furnace is XX,XXX BTU/Hr,
    NOT Tons.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

ghunnell66

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

The X13 has preset speed taps, just like a standard motor. If the duct system is more restrictive than normal, airflow is less than you'd like for the speed the installer picked. With a variable speed motor, it can try harder to move the desired amount of air. So if the installer says blow 1200 CFM for a 3 ton A/C, the variable speed motor will do so unless the duct system or filter or closed registers is so severe it can't do it.

I'd pull one extra so you can use the dehumidify on demand feature of either furnace, and get a thermostat that can control humidity. IMO, this should become standerd installation method... period. Just as 2 stage equipment should have a 2 stage thermostat. IF you have a ECM motor and DoD, it should be wired for it. The only exception might be hot dry climates. But even in thsoe regions, there have a rainy season, and you could set 450CFM/ton as standard airlfow and sinly drop it from there so they can get a wet coil durign those few weeks a year they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    I would go with the one who states the
    Furnace is XX,XXX BTU/Hr,
    NOT Tons.
    they both gave me quotes on what BTU I need No ened to worry I am not being duped. I got the calculation and it made sense to me.

I mentioned the blower size in tons because I wasnt quite convinced that my 2 tons ductwork can handle the 3 tons blower, since I am guessing it might create friction and cause problem.
    All the contractors quoted me for 3 tons and they said it can be adjusted, so I jsut wanted to double check here that this is the case.

Numbers are easy to understand for me. But I need info on actual specs of the system. Something that hvac pros know and customers dont.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The X13 has preset speed taps, just like a standard motor. If the duct system is more restrictive than normal, airflow is less than you'd like for the speed the installer picked. With a variable speed motor, it can try harder to move the desired amount of air. So if the installer says blow 1200 CFM for a 3 ton A/C, the variable speed motor will do so unless the duct system or filter or closed registers is so severe it can't do it.
    i think I am getting the difference know. Thanks BadLoonie. So how many preset speed taps does the performance 96 have?

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'd pull one extra so you can use the dehumidify on demand feature of either furnace, and get a thermostat that can control humidity. IMO, this should become standerd installation method... period. Just as 2 stage equipment should have a 2 stage thermostat. IF you have a ECM motor and DoD, it should be wired for it. The only exception might be hot dry climates. But even in thsoe regions, there have a rainy season, and you could set 450CFM/ton as standard airlfow and sinly drop it from there so they can get a wet coil durign those few weeks a year they need it.
    is this dehumidify on demand more for my comfort or does it have anything to do with the condensation of the furnace?
    I think if we decide to get a humidifer, we will be getting the thermostat that can control it, however, my husband is leaning towards no on the humidifier. This can be installed later on if we decide later tho, right?

This is like "Ford vs Chevrolet". Both are excellent units. Service and Quality would be my main decision when choosing, along with OEM warranty coverage. I normally use Rheem/Rudd, but because of availability and 10 year warranty. Flip the coin!

CT

Yes, but good thermostats are expensive. So you'll not want to spend that again just because you are adding a hum.

Ive just started using/learning about ecobee thermostats. 4 wire.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Yes, but good thermostats are expensive. So you'll not want to spend that again just because you are adding a hum.

Ive just started using/learning about ecobee thermostats. 4 wire.

apparently, I will be getting TCONT802AS32DA with XV 95. I was told that trane thermostate is made by honeywell? well, they look similar from the pics I see on the website. My quick browse from trane website shows that I need different thermostat for humidity control. is it correct?
    My current thermostat is honeywell visionpro 8000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast