Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You need to look at the TCont803 t-stat. It offers humdity control!!! This will give you the ablity to set humdity on the T-stat from anywhere from 45%-65%.

The best humdity setting is 50%-55% for most home owners and depending on you, your family and home will often result in raising t-stat temp. As 50-55% percent will make your home feel cooler.

What model VP do you have now? If an 8320, that's an 802 so don't buy a new one. If 8110 single stage, then upgrade. The 803 overcools to dehumidify. Best bet is the Vision Pro IAQ mentioned which uses dehumidify on demand, slowing the blower if it gets too humid.

The Carrier X13 has 5 speed taps.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    What model VP do you have now? If an 8320, that's an 802 so don't buy a new one. If 8110 single stage, then upgrade. The 803 overcools to dehumidify. Best bet is the Vision Pro IAQ mentioned which uses dehumidify on demand, slowing the blower if it gets too humid.

The Carrier X13 has 5 speed taps.
    i think i have 802. I will double check when I get home.
    So the trane guy only offers me trane branded tstat. he said if I dont want to pull more wire, I will have to get XC95m because it comes with communicating tstat or something.
    This is all too confusing..... help.... what should I tell this guy?

also, I know we are not supposed to mention price in this forum, but what are the acceptable difference in price between the carrier and the trane I am asking about. the carrier is cheaper, but the general consensus seems to say that the trane model is better.

question about the speed taps, I want to understand how it works. what are the different speed taps? So, if my duct is 2 tons, the speed is basically has to be set to the closest speed less than 2, is that correct? and how much less? would that really affect the performance of the furnace in general?

Sorry for the multiple question.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtonowhere View Post
    i think i have 802. I will double check when I get home.
    So the trane guy only offers me trane branded tstat. he said if I dont want to pull more wire, I will have to get XC95m because it comes with communicating tstat or something.
    This is all too confusing..... help.... what should I tell this guy?

also, I know we are not supposed to mention price in this forum, but what are the acceptable difference in price between the carrier and the trane I am asking about. the carrier is cheaper, but the general consensus seems to say that the trane model is better.

question about the speed taps, I want to understand how it works. what are the different speed taps? So, if my duct is 2 tons, the speed is basically has to be set to the closest speed less than 2, is that correct? and how much less? would that really affect the performance of the furnace in general?

Sorry for the multiple question.
    You keep flipping back and forth on your parameters:

If you are only going to be in the house a couple of years or rent it or sell it...just put a basic unit in. Talk to a realtor about how much "resale value" you are going to get with a new high efficiency top of the line furnace ($0.00)

The carrier performance series thermostat only needs two wires......

Don't be focused on brand and get the contractor that will do the best job. This industry is custom installed work integrated into your home..... My analogy is: "I got a brand new porsche assembled in my driveway much cheaper!!!! and the kitty litter I have to buy to soak up the oil stains isn't that expensive"

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    You keep flipping back and forth on your parameters:

If you are only going to be in the house a couple of years or rent it or sell it...just put a basic unit in. Talk to a realtor about how much "resale value" you are going to get with a new high efficiency top of the line furnace ($0.00)

The carrier performance series thermostat only needs two wires......

Don't be focused on brand and get the contractor that will do the best job. This industry is custom installed work integrated into your home..... My analogy is: "I got a brand new porsche assembled in my driveway much cheaper!!!! and the kitty litter I have to buy to soak up the oil stains isn't that expensive"
    thank you for your insight, especially about the resale value. At this point, I'd rather do the 95%. putting basic 80% single stage is out of the question.

as i have previously mentioned, these two contractors are equally good. They have good reviews and I know some coworkers who have used them. So yes, I am only interested comparing the TECHNICAL differences between these two products.

one more info, I got a NEW quote for the xc95m because the trane guy doesnt want to pull wires and ruin my drywall. so he is giving me steep discount where the difference between xv95 and xc95m is negligible now.
    However, the difference between xc95m and performance 96 is significant, so I would like to weigh in the technical differences and see if it is worth the money.

thank you for your insight, especially about the resale value. At this point, I'd rather do the 95%. putting basic 80% single stage is out of the question.

as i have previously mentioned, these two contractors are equally good. They have good reviews and I know some coworkers who have used them. So yes, I am only interested comparing the TECHNICAL differences between these two products.

one more info, I got a NEW quote for the xc95m because the trane guy doesnt want to pull wires and ruin my drywall. so he is giving me steep discount where the difference between xv95 and xc95m is negligible now.
    However, the difference between xc95m and performance 96 is significant, so I would like to weigh in the technical differences and see if it is worth the money.
    Then ask the carrier guy to quote a variable speed furnace and compare equivalent equipment.

If you don't want to pull wires, there is the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat if it hasn't been mentoned. 3 wires, not "clicking" and it has a lot of control features.

The comparable Carrier furnace would be a Infinity 96. THe modulating on the Trane is better, but the Infinity controls are better overall and only need 4 wires. Ther is also the Infinity ICS 3 stage furnace which works as well as a modulating furnace is tems of turndown and longer run times.

You could also get another quote and look at a York Affinity system with modulating furnace.

Yeah, I'm w BES, you seem to be wanting features, but not wanting to pay for them.
    I prefer not to spend any more money. we are not planning on staying in this house for very long. I just need something with high efficiency that will help with resale or rental value in a few years while keeping us warm til then.
    Crappy furnace is a turd. Mid rage furnace is a gilded turd. If you are buying a turd, don't guild it!

IMO, your starting to get to the point the incremental cost to a really nice communicating mod (that doesn't need more wires) is pretty small, even if you depreciate the increment over 5 years.

Do the numbers.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123