+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Load Calc software

Post Likes

Question on Load Calc software

For the last few years, I have been doing load calcs with either a quick online version, or Don Sleeth's version. Now I hear the local permit offices will require a load calc for a permit, and not all software is approved. The product line I am selling/installing currently (AlliedAir, part of Lennox... www.alliedair.com ) has a class available with a copy of Elite load calc software.

I do not know much about Elite, do any of you use it... and do you know if it is approved by your local jurisdiction?

THX for any info on Elite load calc software.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    hm. i have elite and wrightsoft. i prefer wrightsoft. if they accept elite ill bet they take wrightsoft as well

best advice? take the class on how to use it.
    too many little things to learn with out direct instruction...for me anyway...but i dont claim to be that smart!
    Last edited by Gross; 10-12-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: i cant spell

Post Likes
    I personally use the newest version of wrightsoft, took a little while to learn the ins and outs but it definitely beats doing heat load calcs by hand! Downside to wrightsoft is the initial purchase of the software is pretty expensive i believe and you need to upgrade to a newer version every so often(I used original version for easily 3-4 years before needing upgrade). It just cost me about 200 bucks to upgrade to the latest and greatest version.

Post Likes
    Do the new versions include foam insulation by any chance?

Post Likes
    Just R values and building infiltration in Wrightsoft. There are options for foam board and continuous insulation.
    If needed to, you can make any custom value you want. But if you want to claim you did a ACCA manual J you have to follow their rules. If you want to your own version of a load calculation, do what ever you want but you can't call it a Manual j.
    "The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion and studying all modes in which it it can be looked at by every character of mind.
    No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this."
    John Stuart Mill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    Do the new versions include foam insulation by any chance?
    For a standard 2x6 wall for instance you can chose your r values of insulation, and also have then option of adding foam board. from there you would need to go into the drop down menu for custom layers this is where you could select the input Cellulose with thickness.

As for what tlj000 said, im not sure how this couldnt be considered manual j considering the program uses mj8 standards, It's just completely necessary to update window u factors and wall info in order to have a correct heat load analysis. The programs parameters are basically worst case scenario. In 90% of the loads, ATLEAST window u factors needs to be custom values due to the program not even being nearly close to how good the windows are these days.

Post Likes
    I like wrightsoft much better than elite. Elite makes you feel like your working on a program that was written in 1994...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MWenzel View Post
    As for what tlj000 said, im not sure how this couldnt be considered manual j considering the program uses mj8 standards,
    I'm just saying be careful with making changes or custom values unless your sure it does not affect the manual J standards

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in