Thread: Type of extra filter needed with Electronic air cleaner?

Post Likes

Type of extra filter needed with Electronic air cleaner?

Hello,
    I have a 3 ton heat pump with an electronic air cleaner. Before the return air enters the electronic air cleaner there is a 1/4" aluminum mesh screen, and after the air cleaner I have been using the 1" pleated style MERV 8 filter. To maximize air flow I am considering replacing the pleated style filter with a cheap fibreglass filter with no MERV rating; my thinking being that an electronic air cleaner plus a 1" pleated MERV 8 is overkill. Mostly I want to maximize air flow, but I also don't want to develop a dirty coil. What do you guys think? Great forum by the way, long time lurker, first time poster!

Post Likes
    You shouldn't need anything more than the prefilter (aluminum) and the EAC cells as long as clean should catch most particles and keep the coil clean. Any other filter is not benefitting and is putting a strain on your system that will likely cause premature failure of compressor and/or heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    ditch the EAC cells and install a 5" media filter in their place.

you can tell by how dirty the merv8 gets how much dust is getting through the EAC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    ditch the EAC cells and install a 5" media filter in their place.

you can tell by how dirty the merv8 gets how much dust is getting through the EAC.
    I agree if you want to keep the coil clean. The velocity of your return would need to be around 250 to 275 feet per minute for the EAC to perform as designed. Unfortunately most returns are way undersized causing velocities in the 700 to 1000 fpm range causing excess noise and filter issues.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-09-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    I would either put in a media filter or keep the 1" pleat after the EAC.

When large particles go through an EAC they become electrically charged. When they get close to the collection cell often times they throw a spark that incinerates the particle. The charge is then disipated so the ash has no charge. It then passes through the collection cell. This is why you need the post filter.

Post Likes
    media filter instead of EAC would be a better option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in