Zoning and bypass duct sizing

Hello,

I have a Climatemaster Tranquility 27-064 geothermal furnace. When i had my house built in 2004, I had my contractor install the ductwork so that it could be zoned upstairs and downstairs, but I didn't have the zoning electronics installed. I'm now looking to add the electronics and my contractor is out of business. I'm looking at using the Honeywell 8835 zone control primarily because I already added a VisionPRO IAQ Thermostat and have the outdoor temp sensor installed (I did this to control the excess humidity that the humidifier was adding in the winter, and also to lock the emergency heat out when recovering on a vacation schedule and the outdoor temp is reasonable), and I have the second floor prewired for the zone tstat. I have a 10x20 (downstairs) and 10x14 (upstairs) rectagular supply duct, so it looks like I need to bypass 1060 cfm. I'd like to use round duct for the bypass, so I have to choose between a 10" and 12" bypass - one is undersized, one is oversized. Is it better to err on the side of oversized or understized? I've read differing opionions on this. Also, I've read that many people prefer a weighted bypass control vs. a modulating control with VS blowers, so it sounds like weighted damper is the way to go. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

No...............

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications
    here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwilkeson View Post
    Hello,

I have a Climatemaster Tranquility 27-064 geothermal furnace.

I have a 10x20 (downstairs) and 10x14 (upstairs) rectagular supply duct, so it looks like I need to bypass 1060 cfm.
    I'd like to use round duct for the bypass, so I have to choose between a 10" and 12" bypass - one is undersized, one is oversized.

Also, I've read that many people prefer a weighted bypass control vs. a modulating control with VS blowers, so it sounds like weighted damper is the way to go.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    X3 No.
    By-Pass needs to be MUCH SMALLER.
    It appears that the Zone dampers must be set to minimum ~50% position.

It is better to err on KNOWING EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING for any zoned system.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

migmontero

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.