Which model is better

Hello all,
    I am going to change my home AC unit as its too loud (71db at airhandler) and we are looking for something which make less noise
    I have received few quotes from dealers. However I am not able to get information which one is better and which air-handler makes less noise. Can you please help me in this ? Following are model number for air handlers and condenser for 3 ton AC system

All of them are close in price and all dealers are authorized dealers.

Brand : Bryant
    AH : FX4DNF037
    Con : 116BNA036

Brand : Rheem
    AH: RHLL series
    Con: 14AJM036

Brand: Carrier
    AH: FV4CVF003100
    Con: CA16NA03600GBA

Brand : Rheem:
    AH: RHLLHM3617GA
    Con: 14A4M30A01

Thank in Advance..

noise can be directly related to the duct work... all will be noisy if duct work small
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Also need to look at the return. If i had a dollar for every time i ran across undersized returns I be rich.

I would also suggest a variable speed air handler but as stated you ductwork has to be able be able to handle the proper amount of air flow along with return for your new air handler to be quiet.

So what size return or returns do you have? Has anyone reviewed over your ductwork? What about a load cal. Anyone performed one for your home?

FV is variable speed. It could be noisier than the others since it will push harder on a restrictive duct system.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I am not familier with duct calculation. However everyone measure size of duct for air handler only. I am going to check if I can get more information about same. However if duckwork is no issue is there any preference for models I have mentioned above?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Also need to look at the return. If i had a dollar for every time i ran across undersized returns I be rich.

I would also suggest a variable speed air handler but as stated you ductwork has to be able be able to handle the proper amount of air flow along with return for your new air handler to be quiet.

So what size return or returns do you have? Has anyone reviewed over your ductwork? What about a load cal. Anyone performed one for your home?

Equipment wise, they are all low end A/C units. All but the Carrier quotes are for air handlers with fixed speed high efficiency blower motors. The Carrier is variable speed, the best you can get.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-09-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Look into a whisper quite system---More money but you get what you pay for.

Just a few small changes can make a sytem go from noisy to silent. SOmetiems it's just a matter of balancing, sometiems balancing plus ductwork modifications. SOmetimes you can purchase higher quality supply grills and drop the noise dramatically. I've doen all 3 to both of my systems along wiht rpoper equipment sizing. If you home for example only needs 2.5 ton, going from 3 ton to 2.5 tons on the same ductwork would make a HUGE difference. Combined with repalcing the registers, and it could go form noisy... like jet engine spooling up to silent. My upstairs system is so quiet that the humm of the inducer fan (on a condensing furnace, located in the attic) is louder than the blower and air noise a the registers.

Further, it's also possible it's not set-up correctly as well. You might have 3 ton condenser aand a 3.5 or 4 ton air handler set to high speed when maybe you only need medium high.

The type of motor won't effect noise. Its' more a matter of insulation and housing construction. But the high end air handlers happen to have high effciency motors in them. But the blower wheel design is pretty much the same.

1- 3 tona/h with 3 ton od unit
    2-3 ton a/h with 3 ton od unit
    3-2.5 ton a/h with 3 ton od unit
    4- 3 ton a/h with 2.5 ton od unit

I would eliminate #3- never have larger od unit than id unit

the 2 rheem units have the x13 blower motors, not the true variable speed units.

Why no heat pump quote?

I would chose a variable speed a/h, Rheem does have a good choice, Model RHSL I believe.

The Rheem od units are the "value Line", they also have the "classic line and the prestige line"

IMO, choose Rheem
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84