Barber Colman Hydraulic Valve Actuator

I have a MP 5210-0-0-4, what is the normal position with no power, should it return to closed? Its on a Eaton Williams HX that controls temp on a Gradient coil, the temp is dropping below 74F which is the set point.

With no power to the actuator it will FAIL retracted ( valve STEM UP ) Heres the TECH sheet on it http://www.cm3web.com/parts/pdf/F24789-6.pdf

Oil leaking out yet?

The spring pressure causes the actuator to retract.

It depends on the action on the valve whether it will be open or closed.
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    With no power to the actuator it will FAIL retracted ( valve STEM UP ) Heres the TECH sheet on it http://www.cm3web.com/parts/pdf/F24789-6.pdf
    Apparently its not returning to the retracted position, because its dropping the temp to 54F with no power to the HX. I took the actuator off the valve body and the temp went up.

I don't normally get involved with the liquid to liquid HX's on the magnets, but I just replaced the PCO controller in the chiller, and they were getting low temp alarms on the gradient coil.

Thanks fo the info.

GT Jets

Hope you noticed I did not MENTION the action of the VALVE ( opened or closed ) just the position of the VALVE stem when the actuator is retracted ( No Power or control signal )

Control Man,

When I screw the accuator back on with no power I could feel it forcing the valve open. Why would it force the valve open, with no power on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Control Man View Post
    GT Jets

Hope you noticed I did not MENTION the action of the VALVE ( opened or closed ) just the position of the VALVE stem when the actuator is retracted ( No Power or control signal )

Yep, I noticed... Was just throwing that in there for clarification that there could be three different valves (two way, three way mixing and three way bypass)...

Also for clarification that if the spring were not in the actuator, it would not retract...

No offense intended...

Could be that someone had the linkage apart to either repack the valve ot attempted to adjust it.

If the linkage is not setup properly the valve stem will be forced down when you put the actuator on.

Heres the info on the linkage kit http://www.cm3web.com/parts/pdf/F26279-2.pdf

Had a school that had 150 valves repacked 1 summer by school staff , was fun the day they turned the boilers on NOT 1 would fully close as they never set the linkage properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Control Man,

When I screw the accuator back on with no power I could feel it forcing the valve open. Why would it force the valve open, with no power on it?
    Try it again powered up but with the yellow wire isolated... The actuator has a pump inside it that runs continuously and there is a valve that opens releasing pressure and one that opens making pressure...

You may need to hold the actuator down fairly firmly for a minute or so to push the fluid out of the piston, if it simply will not go "up" with the proper spring after a couple of minutes, the actuator is failed....

Time to spend several hundred dollars on a new beer can...