Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Not hostility, but I guess it is a more family view of a nation. Cutting taxes is not a bad thing, my country has been on that path for some time now. It is more a comment of it is OK to take money in from other parts of the US but don't think about moving here. Actually had a thought as I went out to buy groceries. You know the bad rap Americans have across the world for being rude and obnoxious? Well it might have been these Californian types that seem to rub just about anyone the wrong way spoiling it for the rest of you. I can't say for sure as I only spent a day there but was in Texas for a couple of weeks. Absolutely nothing bad to say about that state. I will say one thing though, when it pours it really pours.
    I may misunderstand, but Texas is a net contributor and not taking from other states.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    You don't get it do you? This freedom for companies to move to a location
    where they have a lower cost structure from, say, California. It also comes with the same freedom for people in California to move to the same location as those companies. And you want to get the contract even if you have a higher bid? That is unreal, almost sounds like a liberal idea.
    No Print, you dont get it. I can give a very detailed explanation as to why the liberal approach of high taxes and burdensome regulations has cost the State of California so many jobs.

But there is more to it than bidding wars and the right to relocate to which ever part of the Nation that currently has an economy.

This is really an issue of culture and of politics. You out of all people should recognize that.

When a mindset moves into your area and threatens to take away bussiness from the local Contractors and also threatens to inject a political narrative that has proven to be economically destructive we as Texans who have decided on a Conservative approach to running an economy have every right to be defensive and watch out for our own.

Out of the 4 Californian GCs Ive run into 3 lived in California, had their store front in California and were only here with their crews to underbid the locals and get their foot into the door.

Also from a HVAC standpoint they're not too bright.

NO !! Swamp coolers and economizers dont work in Houston and if you're going to bid a 5 ton unit for a 1300 sq foot space dont pump in make up air off a 130 degree roof through a 14" duct straight into the return.

We have a culture war in America and the future of our great Nation depends on the outcome.

I can see why the resident Canadian might think that a liberal approach is the way to go but honestly I consider it a cancer.

A Cancer that has to be rooted so the redt of our Nation doesn't end up like California.

Hey Print ask the Californians here about their gas dilema. Amost 6 bux a gallon and stations are closing.

We have every right to vet these contractors as local guys struggle while out of state visitors come in and low bid their way into our State.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    No Print, you dont get it. I can give a very detailed explanation as to why the liberal approach of high taxes and burdensome regulations has cost the State of California so many jobs.

But there is more to it than bidding wars and the right to relocate to which ever part of the Nation that currently has an economy.

This is really an issue of culture and of politics. You out of all people should recognize that.

When a mindset moves into your area and threatens to take away bussiness from the local Contractors and also threatens to inject a political narrative that has proven to be economically destructive we as Texans who have decided on a Conservative approach to running an economy have every right to be defensive and watch out for our own.

Out of the 4 Californian GCs Ive run into 3 lived in California, had their store front in California and were only here with their crews to underbid the locals and get their foot into the door.

NO !! Swamp coolers and economizers dont work in Houston and if you're going to bid a 5 ton unit for a 1300 sq foot space dont pump in make up air off a 130 degree roof through a 14" duct straight into the return.

We have a culture war in America and the future of our great Nation depends on the outcome.

I can see why the resident Canadian might think that a liberal approach is the way to go but honestly I consider it a cancer.

A Cancer that has to be rooted so the redt of our Nation doesn't end up like California.

Hey Print ask the Californians here about their gas dilema. Amost 6 bux a gallon and stations are closing.

We have every right to vet these contractors as local guys struggle while out of state visitors come in and low bid their way into our State.
    Kind of ironic. Yins are busy because out of state folk are moving to your state, but your complaining cause out of state contractors are bidding on the work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    Kind of ironic. Yins are busy because out of state folk are moving to your state, but your complaining cause out of state contractors are bidding on the work.
    In state businesses are thriving, not newbie imports from other states, out of state contractors and workers are coming here as a result. We are not thriving because out of state workers and contractors are coming here.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Six you must understand that Liberals are like locust. They vote Democratic who bankrupt the state (eat up the harvest of their state) and then move to the prosperous Conservative states to destroy them in the same manner.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I may misunderstand, but Texas is a net contributor and not taking from other states.
    Depends on how you look at it. If companies up and move from one state to another with low taxes or a relaxed business environment, then the products they sell to the people in the other states flow to them. I did not mean to imply Texas is getting money from the other states, sorry for the confusion.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post

Actually I do understand a difference in culture and politics, it is the same thing with us when a Quebec company comes out west here to bid on work. And the same things apply, we have operating conditions that are specific to the region and certain methods that work other places do not function well here. We have a roof that periodically needs to be de-iced in the winter, guys with axes chopping at the roof (tell me that is a good thing) because the heat recovery coil sucks all the heat out of the exhaust air and rather than harmlessly returning to the atmosphere ends up in a rock hard mess.

As far as being liberal, does it not really come down to supply and demand what the price companies set for their services? In the land of free markets I would think so. If there are less companies to bid on the work the price goes up and with competition the price goes down. We had provincial barriers here to keep outside companies from bidding on jobs or workers from taking work in other parts of the country. It increased the cost to businesses and they complained how can we have a free trade deal with the U.S. but not have free trade across Canada? How will you be able to compete with China if you increase costs by only allowing local companies to win bids with their higher prices? While the quality of work and the ability to do the job are things to keep in consideration I am not sure if it is in your nation's best interest to limit trade between your states. Might be good for the individual states though.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

hearthman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    Mexicans infested America because it was better than what they had. Simple physics really, like hot to cold, high pressure to low pressure, etc. People will tend to gravitate towards greener pastures, even when those pastures have longhorn cattle and feral hogs loose. ;-)

People are free to move across state lines in the US (for now). However, what was revealed here is the death of work ethic in this country. The Great Society has destroyed a man's ability to work hard, be honest, be conscientitious and resourceful, and actually give a damn about his performance all without begrudging the boss at the top and being content with his paycheck and socio-economic status. I call it "unionitis" but it centers around being selfish, envious and never satisfied with anything while expecting everything yet giving little in return.

If you want to relocate to Texas, blend into society, respect their customs and tradition, respect your fellow man and be content at doing a really good job, I'd say 'go'. If you can't, stay in the armpit you're currently living in. Thank God Texas has as many liberals as it does. If they really fixed all the corruption and insanity by gettign rid of these policies, the place would look at NY City, LA, and Frisco all in one from the mass immigration and it would ruin a flower. So, aside from wheel chocks, liberals can serve a useful purpose.

Six, I strongly suggest your company market itself by distinguishing itself from this so called competition. Advertise you are a traditional Texas company with Texan values and will hire only people who reside in Texas and respect their local customs, traditions and reflect those work ethics.

This is kinda funny to me!

Every single big project in kansas city.
    Texas companies end up getting about half.

For 5 years we had 500 texans working at iatan.

I would guess we have tens of thousands of texan workers here every day.

I just figured there was no work there?

I dont really care and never thought about it????

Funny how many texas longhorn shirts hats and license plates you see on big jobs.

Eating up the harvest one place and moving on to greener pastures is capitalism.... Stopping those cali and yankee business from coming to texas and taking your work would be anti capitalist.

Do better quality work than them is all I can say.....

Or get you some axe handles and pay them a visit when they are coming out of the bars.....
    One things for _______ sure, ________ rock didnt land on ______ sorry ___. That ___ __ _ _____ wasnt nowhere near _______ a _______ years ago. __ aint even a ______, __ is half _______ and half ________.

I talked with a fellow who works at my local Kroger store here in Ft. Worth, TX a couple nights ago. He works night shift stocking shelves. He had been there 3 years, and he was leaving. He described to me how brutal Kroger's treats their employees both at the store he works at and especially at the distribution warehouse just up I-35 in Keller, TX. He said at the warehouse, they have to pull X amount of stock per shift (measured in square feet I think) or they are fired immediately after their shift is over. This is how employees are being treated now as we live in a very tight economy. Everything has gotten cut throat and the completitionf or jobs is intense. Mexicans are getting a lot of them--both legal and illegal. Wal Mart treats their people the same way. Ever notice Wal Mart stockers at night? They are busting tail man or they get in trouble. It was not like this when I first moved to Ft. Worth in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by exreo View Post
    I talked with a fellow who works at my local Kroger store here in Ft. Worth, TX a couple nights ago. He works night shift stocking shelves. He had been there 3 years, and he was leaving. He described to me how brutal Kroger's treats their employees both at the store he works at and especially at the distribution warehouse just up I-35 in Keller, TX. He said at the warehouse, they have to pull X amount of stock per shift (measured in square feet I think) or they are fired immediately after their shift is over. This is how employees are being treated now as we live in a very tight economy. Everything has gotten cut throat and the completitionf or jobs is intense. Mexicans are getting a lot of them--both legal and illegal. Wal Mart treats their people the same way. Ever notice Wal Mart stockers at night? They are busting tail man or they get in trouble. It was not like this when I first moved to Ft. Worth in 1979.
    I fail to see the problem when you take on job their are standards that you must maintain if not good-bye and that is how it should be. The last thing we need is a union mentality that allows you to lolly-gag around and not produce but retain your job. I do not think illegal workers should be hired but having to hustle on the job is a standard that should be applied universally.

I have canned many a tech and installer that had a cavalier work ethic!!!!!!!!!

Just keep in mind when you move to Texas - "It's a whole nother country" just like the commercial says.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast