Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Out of State General Contractors and Subs.....go home.

I live in Houston where unlike the rest of the Country we're experiencing quite the economic boom due to people with money moving from bankrupt states calling our huge sprawling city home now.

We're also seeing a large influx of contractors, general contractors and workers come in and take Construction work away from the local Contractors and GC's.

Last week during the commissioning of 9 VAV's for a build out done by a California GC I got to listen to the GC and his workers whine about the heat and humidity and pine for their bankrupt home city in California while atop a six foot ladder with a mini-mag light in my teeth.

45 minutes of it and that was all that I could take. Most guys here no me well enough to know that I can't resist a good fight.....uhm debate...so I finally told them "well why don't you go back .....now ?"

I DO try to consider a certain level of professionalism which usually stops my mouth from over-riding my intelligence when on a job sight but this was weird.

It was like an out of body experience, a reflex that I had no more control over than my reflex to take my next breath. For a half second I almost looked around to see who was so bold to say something like that to the GC and 6 of his employees.

Just little ole' me.

Realizing what I just started I climbed off my ladder and walked up to the GC and looked him in the eyes from about 2 feet away. ( This is a psychological tactic I learned to do years ago to actually defuse a confrontation....) Believe it or not it works.

Not in a threatening way, not even angry, just look directly in to their eyes with a slight grin with all the confidence in the world and it will usually cause them to retreat to a defensive posture psychologically and some times physically.

Anyway after the expected awkward pause he responded " cuz there aint no money there" to which I replied " Who's fault is that " ???

We wen't back and forth for a few minutes with some of his guys chiming in their expected responses....Californian GC's ( I know what they're going to say before they start their sentence..and finally I explained WHY Houston still has an economy, and a good one.

Point being Texas and Houston is attracting out of state residents, businesses and money because of our Conservative approach to taxes and giving corporations and small businesses incentives.

BUT our Company and others like us are starting to campaign to give local contractors, subs or General Contractors first shot even if they're the high bid and it's also starting to filter up to the larger businesses and corporations.

We here had nothing to do with the mess your State is in financially.

You people elected your liberal politicians who don't have the two brains cells to rub together to realize low taxes, NO STATE INCOME TAX and incentives for Companies that relocate here is how you increase revenues..... NOT taxing the holy hell out your residents, passing restrictive draconian regulations and passing out social services to every illegal that crosses your borders like they're door prizes.

DUH...

What's worse than a Californian native relocating to Texas ???? A Michigan native..

We hired a helper...no HVAC experience, just a mule a month out of Michigan who felt the need to inform me while we were setting 10 new package units with that adorable "accent"....*sigh* that " Texas sucked, but it's where the money's at..." GRRRR....

I fired him....Lol ! Yep just "You're fired get your sh** and go" and I don't even head up OUR construction Crew, I'm our Companies Service Manager AND I run Commercial service calls.

I let him crawl off the roof and talk to our Construction manager and of course he was "rehired", I don't have the authority to let run those guys off.

Our Construction Manager called me 30 minutes later while I was installing a pneumatic receiver controller in one of the package units and it went something like this.....

CM: Chris, ( My name ) Did you fire Phillip ?
    Me: Yes, Yes I did.
    CM: Can I ask Why ?? ( knowing I had no authority but for the sake of conversation.)
    Me: He Slandered our Great State, said "Texas sucks but it where the money's at"
    CM: HE SAID THAT ??!!!
    Me: Yup
    CM: Ok, I'll take care of it. I have some duct wrap with his name on it.

Point is Texans are very proud of our State. If you have to move here be respectful to the natives.

I'm at least 8th generation Texan BTW with Comanche Indian mix.

If you're a out of State Contractor or Sub or General Contractor we didn't screw up your State economy so DO UNDERSTAND if you're treated like interlopers when you come in to Texas and undercut Texas Contractors.

You don't get it do you? This freedom for companies to move to a location where they have a lower cost structure from, say, California. It also comes with the same freedom for people in California to move to the same location as those companies. And you want to get the contract even if you have a higher bid? That is unreal, almost sounds like a liberal idea.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    You don't get it do you? This freedom for companies to move to a location where they have a lower cost structure from, say, California. It also comes with the same freedom for people in California to move to the same location as those companies. And you want to get the contract even if you have a higher bid? That is unreal, almost sounds like a liberal idea.
    Sorry Printer but on this one you cannot have a clue it is A TEXAS THING. This has happened many times over the years the worst was in the late 70's early 80's when the rust belt crumbled.

We had this kid from Mich. go to work for us he was worthless lazy as hell and dumb as a brick, came down in his rust bucket GM car with his Union work ethic and just could not cut it. He came to work one day and I had a hangans noose hanging from the ceiling he asked what it was (Yankee Nectie) he quit that week. I was going to fire him anyway and I did have the authority.

It is not like Texans do not like californians canadians yankees okies mexicans and others. But it is annoying to hear people here from other places here for a better job b1+ching about Texas and reciting how good things are where they came from.

Firstly, it sounds wimpy. Secondly, it is kind of insulting. Immigrants need to either assimilate or go back to where they came from.

"when in rome, do as the romans do" .

I am saying this as an immigrant, I was actually born and raised in Oklahoma but have basically spent my adult life in Texas. Texas is a great state and has been good to me. I have heard people come here and complain about the heat, complain about lack of government aid, complain about racism which I think is a false accusation as Texans are about the nicest folks you will ever meet, and just generally praise other places. I am easy. OKAY, go back there to your utopia and stop complaining about Texas. Idiots.

As for personal heritage if it matters, my ancestors were among the first in Texas, when it still was a Mexican state, relocated from Tennessee.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Six, from a former upstate New Yorker, who has watch his home state crumble under its state taxes, think it passed california, good for you.

Printer, he is not complaining about their freedom to move, hes complaining about their attutide.

I have no problem with telling some jerk that his attitude would be better served elsewhere. What I was commenting on was Six's belief that a state can undercut another state to lure companies there but when they are there they should be required to take the home grown talent even if the bid is higher.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Six, from a former upstate New Yorker, who has watch his home state crumble under its state taxes, think it passed california, good for you.

Printer, he is not complaining about their freedom to move, hes complaining about their attutide.
    I did not have a problem with that part as you can see I never even commented on it. It was this part that I found ironic. If the companies that are moving there did the same, well they would not have moved there.

BUT our Company and others like us are starting to campaign to give local contractors, subs or General Contractors first shot even if they're the high bid and it's also starting to filter up to the larger businesses and corporations.

I did not have a problem with that part as you can see I never even commented on it. It was this part that I found ironic. If the companies that are moving there did the same, well they would not have moved there.
    As long as they are not trying to get the state or local governments to regulate that, that is those businesses decision. One of the main reasons texas is booming is because they do have pride in their state, so it makes sense that alot of them would want locals making money before people that are just showing up for the money. I would be nice if more states had that type of pride. It makes sense from a business sense as well, if they don't keep the money in local hands, it leaves the state, and local spending falls, which will destory their local economy. Its a big part of whats wrong in the united states at the moment. People don't make enough money to pay off their debts, thus they can't afford to buy new items, which causes a stagnat economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    As long as they are not trying to get the state or local governments to regulate that, that is those businesses decision. One of the main reasons texas is booming is because they do have pride in their state, so it makes sense that alot of them would want locals making money before people that are just showing up for the money. I would be nice if more states had that type of pride. It makes sense from a business sense as well, if they don't keep the money in local hands, it leaves the state, and local spending falls, which will destory their local economy. Its a big part of whats wrong in the united states at the moment. People don't make enough money to pay off their debts, thus they can't afford to buy new items, which causes a stagnat economy.
    I understand all that. But basically Texas is trying to undercut other states to lure the wealth there. And when the wealth leaves the other states there is great incentive for those without a job to follow where it went.

I understand all that. But basically Texas is trying to undercut other states to lure the wealth there. And when the wealth leaves the other states there is great incentive for those without a job to follow where it went.
    How so? By not taxing every business move to death??? You say that as if there is something wrong with that, are you saying something is wrong with that?

Texas has a great business environment. It works. I don't understand the hostility.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

I have no problem with telling some jerk that his attitude would be better served elsewhere. What I was commenting on was Six's belief that a state can undercut another state to lure companies there but when they are there they should be required to take the home grown talent even if the bid is higher.
    Texas policies are not made to lure anybody here. Policies are made for maximum function, even though Texas is also over-regulated in my opinion. We have our own businesses to do our own stuff. If out of state businesses want to come here for work they are welcome to do so,.. but they and employees need to pack the attitude.

Love it or leave it, don't just come here for money and whine about how much you hate it here.

I just don't understand people sometimes. But that is rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    How so? By not taxing every business move to death??? You say that as if there is something wrong with that, are you saying something is wrong with that?

Texas has a great business environment. It works. I don't understand the hostility.
    Not hostility, but I guess it is a more family view of a nation. Cutting taxes is not a bad thing, my country has been on that path for some time now. It is more a comment of it is OK to take money in from other parts of the US but don't think about moving here. Actually had a thought as I went out to buy groceries. You know the bad rap Americans have across the world for being rude and obnoxious? Well it might have been these Californian types that seem to rub just about anyone the wrong way spoiling it for the rest of you. I can't say for sure as I only spent a day there but was in Texas for a couple of weeks. Absolutely nothing bad to say about that state. I will say one thing though, when it pours it really pours.

You don't get it do you? This freedom for companies to move to a location
    where they have a lower cost structure from, say, California. It also comes with the same freedom for people in California to move to the same location as those companies. And you want to get the contract even if you have a higher bid? That is unreal, almost sounds like a liberal idea.
    Sorry print but it has more to do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast