We are thinking of purchasing a Cape Cod in Northern NJ that has baseboard/radiators for heat and Window A/Cs. The house does not have an attic. We have always had Central A/C and Heat (we are first time home buyers and have lived in apartments before).
Based on this info, wife has "instructed" me to ensure that we can update the A/C to a central system. Here are my questions:
- My daughter has skin allergies/eczema. Is it better to think about just an A/C unit and leave the radiators alone for heat?
- Should I be looking at split ductless A/C systems instead since getting duct work might be a pain in a Cape Cod?
- When I do get an HVAC contractor, what kind of questions should I be asking?
- Are there any specific brands I should be looking at?
- If I do get a ductless system, will I be able to adjust the temperature using the same thermostat I have for the radiators?
Sorry if I sound clueless (I am). I would like to get these answers from an unbiased source.