Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ok, standard control.

I took it that it was controlled by an od dew point controller... Which is something I'd like to find. I'm still searching for a cost effective digital version to work with your ventilating dh's.

Quote Originally Posted by thermojohn View Post
    I took it that it was controlled by an od dew point controller... Which is something I'd like to find.
    Why? Proactive rather than reactive?

What benefit to you intuit there would be?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Why? Proactive rather than reactive?

What benefit to you intuit there would be?
    Well, since I am an energy efficiency nut... If there is a need for dehumidification, and the OD dew point is below 50°, I want the ventilation fan and damper to operate, and leave the compressor idle. I took it from TB's earlier post that he was doing the something similar, and was curious on the control he used.

I did this to my own ventilating DH, and it works absolutely superb. The controller I'm using is an old school Carrier dew point controller that is no longer available.

It is getting complicated. First, if the home is occupied, the home should be getting a fresh air change in 4-5 hours. This is regardless of the outdoor dew point. When the outdoor dew point is low, the moisture from the occupants is purged and the indoor %RH will be <50%. As the outdoor dew point rises, the indoor %RH will rise. Without any cooling load, the dehu will run.
    If the home is unoccupied, the indoor %RH will respond to the outdoor dew point. So ventilate when occupied and dehumidify when +50%RH.
    You have a good case if you have an indoor moisture source that is not occupant related. Fish tanks and open pools is a good example. I am not aware of any inexpensive dew point controllers.
    We currently do not have a dew point controller but could do it based on outdoor temps and %RH.
    Appreciate the comments and support.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123