Hi new to the board & was sent here by the gardenweb folks to ask the HVAC pros here for some help. So please dumb it down for me as much as you can.
We are building a house:
* 1.5 stories bungalow front/ranch back
* conditioned crawl space
* Foam roof lines/ cellulose attic/ closed cell batts for walls
* Earthcraft certified with blown door tested
* Gas range - 4 burner with 600 CFM vent hood
* 12 windows 1st floor - 9 windows upstairs
* central VA/midatlantic/richmond
* temps mid 40's winters/ 90's summers/55+ humidity most of the time
* Nat gas & elect available
* Hate humidity
Equipment selected so far through builder/HVAC sub:
* Trane XR16 Heat Pump (upto 18 SEER/9.5 HSPF/2-stage/3 tons)
* Chose this after review of our heating needs vs. winter temp expectations in our area
1) Would we need a ERV?
2) Would we need a Dehumidifier? - seems this is big point here from what I've read - not sure why
Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!