Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 21

Thread: Just wondering!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11

    Just wondering!

    Im starting school in january for HVAC and have about 6 months electrical knowledge as a electrical helper
    Would it be a waste of time to take the electrical course when im done with hvac and then after electrical take construction technology?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    No education will be wasted.

    A high percentage of problems that you will encounter as a service tech are electrical in nature, so a strong understanding of control circuits and power supplies is necessary to be successful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    6,945
    being a helper for 6 months isn't cutting edge experience if you had 6 yrs as a lead school will show you how much you don't know about any field your in don't want to spread yourself too thin as "jack of all trades" ....and "expert at nothing"
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    school will show you how much you don't know about any field your in
    I think this about sums up how I feel about schooling. Its just like when I first started out a while back. I rode with a "senior technician" and he was called a senior tech. simply because he has been there for a while. He knows what he knows based on repetition but at the same time couldn't explain why and how a lot of things worked. I mean, if that works out for you than by all means continue doing it, but when I eventually get back out in the field, I personally like to know why things do what they do and then be able to explain it to someone, whether that be another tech or a customer. Knowledge goes a long way.

    So for a short answer, no, school is not a waste especially if it pertains to the field you're interested in.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    You mericans need some guidlines/standards in your HVAC industry. No one asked if school is a waste of time in canada because they need to complete to course so they have a G2 TSSA gas lic to work on and install hvac equipment. Most company won't even hire you as a helper unless you have atleast a G3 Gas Lic. It's a sad world that someone thinks schooling is a waste of time. The best piece of advise i got going into this trade was get as many certs and qulifacations geared towards this trade and you will always have a job.

    To the OP go to school take as many courses as you can towards the career you want to be in I say it will do nothing but help you gain a lead on the other applicants

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,594
    Yea we take the same attitude when we dive into war to save your as@es too.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    You mericans need some guidlines/standards in your HVAC industry. No one asked if school is a waste of time in canada because they need to complete to course so they have a G2 TSSA gas lic to work on and install hvac equipment. Most company won't even hire you as a helper unless you have atleast a G3 Gas Lic. It's a sad world that someone thinks schooling is a waste of time. The best piece of advise i got going into this trade was get as many certs and qulifacations geared towards this trade and you will always have a job.

    To the OP go to school take as many courses as you can towards the career you want to be in I say it will do nothing but help you gain a lead on the other applicants

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Yea we take the same attitude when we dive into war to save your as@es too.
    lmao ur kidding right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Yea we take the same attitude when we dive into war to save your as@es too.
    This type of attitude is exactly why the USA is so far behind in technical knowledge.

    In my state, no certifications are required beyond a CFC handling certificate to be a HVAC/R technician.

    And you think that is OK?? Really?

    My 11 year old son could knock out EPA after reviewing the materials.

    Continuing education. Higher education standards and greater oversight is EXACTLY what this trade needs right now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,594
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This type of attitude is exactly why the USA is so far behind in technical knowledge.

    In my state, no certifications are required beyond a CFC handling certificate to be a HVAC/R technician.

    And you think that is OK?? Really?

    My 11 year old son could knock out EPA after reviewing the materials.

    Continuing education. Higher education standards and greater oversight is EXACTLY what this trade needs right now.
    Never said that it was okay, Just saying us, we, and me as an American Citizen willing to die in our military for our rights and others rights, have grown up with the attitude of shoot now ask questions later. Besides a man with a family trying to pay the bills sometimes doesn't have the time to go to night school. Learning and going to school are always important some can't learn in a classroom setting and need to have hands on so in that case carnell knowledge is the best way to go. If i was trying to be an engineer I would have gone to college but that not what I want to be. When I started at hussman they didn't send me to classes they gave me a torch and cutters and said start welding thius is how to do it. Here is a wire stripper connect this and this read the schematic if you get lost. I will never be an over acheiver or under acheiver but I will allways be willing to learn and grow but I cannot afford tosit in a classroom at night. Hey if it's on the company dime and time sign me up. Not everyone has that opportuny, however.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    This is how All you Mericans Should Think just like how JP said it. Not My guns Bigger and badder then yours. I went to COLLEGE to be an HVAC/R Tech. In Canada all you would be is a helper with a ODP/EPA card going to the supply house buying reefer. Doesn't matter if you know what you are doing or Not. Gotta have that License.

    I know how to drive my car but still gotta have a License to prove it.
    Last edited by OldSchoolMech; 10-11-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Edit

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    This is how All you Mericans Should Think just like how JP said it. Not My guns Bigger and badder then yours. I went to COLLEGE to be an HVAC/R Tech. In Canada all you would be is a helper with a ODP/EPA card going to the supply house buying reefer. Doesn't matter if you know what you are doing or Not. Gotta have that License.

    I know how to drive my car but still gotta have a License to prove it.
    Oh, Hecks.

    My guns are plenty big enough. And, I've got a license to carry them.

    Reading various HVAC/R forums over the past few years, you tend to get an interesting cross-section of our trade and exposure to techs from around the world.

    I was stunned by what I didn't know and am continuously amazed by what I don't know about this trade, but even more stunned by the knowledge level of comparable tradesmen in other countries.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    67
    more school, more tickets, more career choices

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Thats how I see it steve
    Where in Toronto you work mostly? Downtown,missasuga,scarbrough,Durham region???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event