+ Reply to Thread

Thread: True TM-24 Hot Gas condensate loop

Post Likes

True TM-24 Hot Gas condensate loop

Went to leak check this unit today. System held 225 psi for fifteen minutes. I soapy bubbled everything, nothing. Replaced the schraeders thinking that my be the problem and everything looks good. Hook up the vacuum and she pulled down and micron gauge started hanging up around 900 microns. Pump didn't sound right so I stopped and hit her again with nitrogen. By this time all the soap had ran into the condensate pan and there was a nice foamy mess down there. Removed the pan and this is what I saw.

The pan was a greasy mess as was the gas loop. I cleaned both and hit the loop with a stainless brush to get a better look at it. I thought that these stainless loops were put in to stop the leak problem.

I am guessing that awhile back someone used foam and clean on the condenser and when they rinsed it off it found its way into the pan and over an extended period of time the high temp of the loop and the sodium hydroxide did the damage. The entire loop does not look this way. Only two separate one inch sections.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I just had a stainless steel heated condensate pan do the same thing, only 6 months old has 2 large holes eaten into the bottom of it.

I did some research on stainless. It is just that. stain "less". It is less apt to corrode, but with acids and heat... its done for. I think you hit it with the coil cleaner not being washed out of the pan.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    I agree. Seen it before. Flush the system too. Probably full of moisture depending on how wet that pan gets.

Post Likes
    Hate when the coil gets so bad chemical cleaning is nessisary. These little units NOT designed with wet cleaning in mind at all. I use heavy duty paper towels and alot of them. If foaming acid cleaning is needed I have recovered and removed to clean. PIA but gotta do what you gotta do. Heavy degreaser and towels usually works pretty well.

Post Likes
    "Wet" cleaning works fine if it's done properly. It's just no one does it properly. Guess it takes too much time In my experience, most customers don't have an issue with doing a proper job.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    "Wet" cleaning works fine if it's done properly. It's just no one does it properly. Guess it takes too much time In my experience, most customers don't have an issue with doing a proper job.
    Agreed!! What most customers, with this type equipment, have a problem with is paying for proper PM program. Low bid wins!! 3rd graders cheaper then REF techs soooo.

Post Likes
    Then they pay for it on a service call. If they only knew proper cleaning would prevent the majority of service calls
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Then they pay for it on a service call. If they only knew proper cleaning would prevent the majority of service calls
    Rite rite.

Post Likes
    Seen some other units where they wrap the tube with some kind of plastic shrink wrap. Seems like a good idea and I never had to replace one of them yet.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    why dont they just use copper ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by royd2 View Post
    why dont they just use copper ?
    Copper corrodes faster.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    I've used copper for years and rarely had problems. I also only use Calgon HD cleaner. It seems to cut the animal fat just fine and does little damage to the metal parts( coils, fins...ect) I also on my condenser coils place a filter material you buy in a roll for Lennox A/C. It's thin enough to breath and grease sticks to it quickly, So I'm only washing coils 1 x a yr.. Saves on labor. I've been doing this for about 20 yrs now and it works.

Post Likes
    Not familiar with this particular unit but on other refer units, the cabinet drain also runs into the same pan allowing any acidic liquid spilled to mix with the condensate. I can testify to the fact that sodas, teas, juice, etc. will eat right through a copper line set. I replace them regularly. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349957150.082723.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  79.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349957167.686659.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  72.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in