UPS bezel graphics

For those of you that show a unit graphic for a UPS what do you like to show on that graphic? Looking for ideas.

We have usually shown tables of status information for input, output, battery etc. There is generally a graphic power flow with operational breakers and some indication on which portions are carrying the load. Under all that there is a list of active alarms.

Starting to throw around ideas, what if we get rid of the power flow, what if we devote less space to alarms etc. Show as much detail as possible or narrow it down so you have a glanceable status indication?

Share screenshots and some of the design thought / objectives behind them? When I have a bit more time tomorrow I will post a classic example of ours so you can comment on it.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    For those of you that show a unit graphic for a UPS what do you like to show on that graphic? Looking for ideas.

We have usually shown tables of status information for input, output, battery etc. There is generally a graphic power flow with operational breakers and some indication on which portions are carrying the load. Under all that there is a list of active alarms.

Starting to throw around ideas, what if we get rid of the power flow, what if we devote less space to alarms etc. Show as much detail as possible or narrow it down so you have a glanceable status indication?

Share screenshots and some of the design thought / objectives behind them? When I have a bit more time tomorrow I will post a classic example of ours so you can comment on it.
    This a very simple graphic I've been using for APC UPS's around the world. Had to block out some stuff, but it's mostly on the screen capture. The key is to keep the clutter to a min.

What is the end result? Are we on city power or battery? How much battery left? Any alarms? Is it ready to use?Name:  dallas_apc.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  21.9 KB

But other time more is GOOD'er.Name:  eaton.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  59.5 KB

... graphic for a UPS what do you like to show on that graphic? Looking for ideas.
    Not designed to be pretty ... just functional.
    Stuff in the pages are linked by mouse Click to event lists and histories for each UPS

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  36.6 KBName:  Image2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  23.0 KBName:  Image3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  53.3 KB
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

That's what I am thinking, needs to be functional which I am defining as glanceable. We used to try to show what is exactly showing on the UPS screens but right now the ups systems are getting too smart showing input filters, eight battery breakers and all sorts of things so I would like to do a back to basics type of thing. Thinking about using variable color to make out of range values show up in red or something that draws the eye.

Currently we use a lot of whitespace which I personally like, along with the powerflow. This is from our public demo system.
    Name:  apm60.png
Views: 67
Size:  61.3 KB
    Scott Jalbert

One of the more complex ones that IMO needs to be much simpler. Name:  NXL.png
Views: 83
Size:  69.8 KB
    Scott Jalbert

One of the more complex ones that IMO needs to be much simpler. Name:  NXL.png
Views: 83
Size:  69.8 KB
    ... I dunno...I reckon it looks pretty clean and easy to read as it is
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

I have told them that if they want something that is asthetically pleasing they need to get someone along the lines of a graphic artist, website designer etc which is definately not me. My goals for this were glanceable status info so a simplified oneline that doesn't show eight battery breakers or input filters etc, primary colors. What are your thoughts on that? I think some of you are lucky enough to have someone that just does graphics right?

I put this together in my spare time this week. It isn't complete, I didn't put all the dynamic alarms or the output/bypass breakers yet but there is enough there to vote on. Things that I haven't done yet; bypass I wanted that to show powerflow in red and for inverter or rectifier alarms I wanted those compnents to show in orange. Not everything is aligned perfectly either, I'm aware of the fine adjustments in viewbuilder though.

Name:  UPS normal.png
Views: 45
Size:  43.5 KB

This isn't exactly showing a valid UPS condition, just testing offline.
    Name:  UPS with alarms.png
Views: 50
Size:  61.6 KB
    Scott Jalbert