New NG gas boiler:

I'm am going to replace the 20 year old Weil Mclain NG hydronic boiler in my primary home in SEMass. The house is 2x6 construction with new energy star windows and exterior doors, and has three zones, one of which heats a radiant system in our 280 square foot family room.

The btu calculators online seem fairly generic, plus won't let you choose both baseboard hot water, and radiant heat. The closest I came up with is 50,800 btu's, which sounds about right as the boiler also makes DHW with a 30 gallon Super Stor.

I would like to take advantage of the $1500 rebate for a >=96% unit. The choices I have seen so far are Lochinvar, Viessmann, and Triangle Tube. I appreciate any info please.

What $1500 rebate? I thought federal tax credits for high effceincy equipment (other than "Green" stuff like geothermal and biomass) ended two years ago.

A well maintained boiler should last 30 years. You 20 year old unit may still have some life. Natural gas prices are so low right now that going to HE might take 15+ years to recoup, expecially when you factor in lost service life on eth existing boiler.

The new windows and doors. unless you had major air leaks aroudn the old ones will rpobably only reduce you heat loss by around 5-15% depending on the condition of you old windows and doors. IT won't change boiler sizing by much. Windows and doors on most homes usually only make-up about 10% of the conductive heat loss, so if you cut the energy losses in 1/2 you only save 5%.. more if you reduce air leaks. That why resoring old wood windows and adding good storm windows has a much better payback of around 10-15 years. Repalcements are 30-50, when compared against storm windows, it's 150-250 years. Repalcement usally only last 15-40 years dpending on quality and get thrown out. Wood windows can be restored indefinitely. Out east there are plenty of 200+ y/o windows.

Windows and heat loss:

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    What $1500 rebate? I thought federal tax credits for high effceincy equipment (other than "Green" stuff like geothermal and biomass) ended two years ago.

A well maintained boiler should last 30 years. You 20 year old unit may still have some life. Natural gas prices are so low right now that going to HE might take 15+ years to recoup, expecially when you factor in lost service life on eth existing boiler.

The new windows and doors. unless you had major air leaks aroudn the old ones will rpobably only reduce you heat loss by around 5-15% depending on the condition of you old windows and doors. IT won't change boiler sizing by much. Windows and doors on most homes usually only make-up about 10% of the conductive heat loss, so if you cut the energy losses in 1/2 you only save 5%.. more if you reduce air leaks. That why resoring old wood windows and adding good storm windows has a much better payback of around 10-15 years. Repalcements are 30-50, when compared against storm windows, it's 150-250 years. Repalcement usally only last 15-40 years dpending on quality and get thrown out. Wood windows can be restored indefinitely. Out east there are plenty of 200+ y/o windows.
    Interesting as I had a certified energy guy do an audit on a rental a couple of years ago who insisted that heat only exits the roof. Lucky for me that I'm a PBS fan, when watching a recent show where they sealed up the house, attached a blower to the front door opening, then brought in an infra-red camera at night! All of the windows were blue on the IR camera, resulting in a 30% heat loss they said.

The windows I replaced were wood double hung, and you could see the curtains move as the wind blew.
    Anyway the windows are done, double glazed, low-e glass, and maintenance free exteriors trimmed in Azek.

Believe it or not, Gas Partners is offering the rebate in my state. As a matter of fact, there's are lots of rebates and free stuff around, if you do a little digging.

I looked once again at the Weil Mclain HE-4, it was built in 1989. The boiler itself is okay, the controls are all Honeywell and are inferior, hot surface ignition has been replaced by an Ipad, and I refuse to buy another brain box for this thing.

Certified what, 'incompetent'?

3 great boilers.

But the controls on the knight might be the best fit given your delivery mix. Make HOT water only if the baseboard or indirect need it.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.