Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11

    Confused HAVC VRS. ELECTRICIAN??

    Basically im stumped on the decision to go into havc or electrical school, I already have about 6 months as an electrical helper and enjoyed it very much.
    I personally wanna go with the one that has the potential to make the most money.
    Iv heard from some people that there is not as much of a demand for electricians as there is for a havc tech.
    pros & cons on both?


    THANKS!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    ooppss******HVAC

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,317
    In my area, you should choose neither if you intend to go through an apprenticeship program (union).

    Electricians, sheet metal unions and the suburban pipefitter union have many capable members not working due to lack of available work and union politics.

    The only anomaly is the Chicago pipefitters union. They'll probably have lots of fitters sitting on the bench when the refinery work closes down, and their more difficult to get into HVAC program is at a lower wage scale.

    Lots of non-union work available, if you think ~$25 an hour is a good wage for someone with experience. Entry level is much less.

    So, it depends on you location, commercial, residential or industrial, whether you are looking to go union or not and what your idea of "lots of money" is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    546
    Pros and cons to both. On one hand, an HVAC tech with a strong electrical background can go a LONG way in this trade, electrical skills are huge! On the other hand electricians don't see the same fluctuations in work through out the year that we do. My dads an electrician, I'm a ref mechanic, I'm happy with my choice, he is happy with his

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,663
    For one thing if you are making choices squarly on money you will be disappointed. Money is a reward for doing what we love to do. Reminds me of that saying on Wall Street MNS- You will lose more money chasing women than women chasing money. Same goes with happiness.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    In my area, you should choose neither if you intend to go through an apprenticeship program (union).

    Electricians, sheet metal unions and the suburban pipefitter union have many capable members not working due to lack of available work and union politics.

    The only anomaly is the Chicago pipefitters union. They'll probably have lots of fitters sitting on the bench when the refinery work closes down, and their more difficult to get into HVAC program is at a lower wage scale.

    Lots of non-union work available, if you think ~$25 an hour is a good wage for someone with experience. Entry level is much less.

    So, it depends on you location, commercial, residential or industrial, whether you are looking to go union or not and what your idea of "lots of money" is.



    Im from the Dallas/Ft.worth area
    Basically what I mean by the money is a comfortable living, you know round 40-60k
    I wanna do the one I have the potential to go the furthest in.
    I know ill enjoy either one

    Oh another thing, Iv been reading on here for awhile and I hear guys saying half the time that people that come out of hvac school still dont know **** to do, whats up with that? I dont want it to be a wast of a time if I can just start out somewhere.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Also im a felon so my options on career choices isnt vary big.
    Im kinda the black sheep of the family as my brother and sister make 100k a year doing electrical/gear sales, and my dad as a cop.
    I know its not all about the money, I want live well and comfortable. Im not lookin to be wealthy, im looking to enjoy what I do and be happy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by JLEE91 View Post
    Also im a felon so my options on career choices isnt vary big.
    Im kinda the black sheep of the family as my brother and sister make 100k a year doing electrical/gear sales, and my dad as a cop.
    I know its not all about the money, I want live well and comfortable. Im not lookin to be wealthy, im looking to enjoy what I do and be happy.
    Since you are not in it for the $ and youre a felon now we can start. Set your earnings in this feild if you are fortunate enought to get a job around 20 to 25 grand, you got to start somewhere. Go and try to get on at a building that has a felon program or you might get lucky and find a small company that is not hampered by liabilty and bonding issues. Then hack the work for a few yrs and try to work your way up. Unfortunatly being a black sheep is a poor excuse in the day and age. Time to bite the bullet and start shoveling the dirt off of your head and join society and it norms.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Since you are not in it for the $ and youre a felon now we can start. Set your earnings in this feild if you are fortunate enought to get a job around 20 to 25 grand, you got to start somewhere. Go and try to get on at a building that has a felon program or you might get lucky and find a small company that is not hampered by liabilty and bonding issues. Then hack the work for a few yrs and try to work your way up. Unfortunatly being a black sheep is a poor excuse in the day and age. Time to bite the bullet and start shoveling the dirt off of your head and join society and it norms.

    lol yea, I dont mean im out screwing around and messing up, just ment I made some mistakes in my earlier teens.
    Im starting hvac school in january so im pretty excited.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,663
    Good, Yea school is a good start, 40 to 60 grand a year would be a huge start, good luck

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    I'm a felon I'll be both - Went to school for electrical technology took this semester off because I got a job working full time as an hvac apprentice - the guy training me is both and he went from electrical to hvac so the transition can be made.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Constant calling and talking with the owners got me my jobs

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Suffolk, Long Island New York
    Posts
    22
    To each his own, i was also in the same boat when i made my decision to join a hvac tech school. What made my decision was there seemed to be more of a demand in my area for hvac guys apposed to an electrician

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event