Hello,
We have a Weil-McLain Ultra gas fired water boiler series 2. It is a direct vent system. It was installed when we built our house a few years ago. It is vented through the roof.

Since day 1 we have had problems with the boiler constantly cycling on and off and occasionally cutting off completely. After a number of service calls with our local propane company and replacement of the fan (as well as some other parts that I cannot recall), it was determined that the vent pipe was too long. The maximum length for this particular unit is 100 feet. When all of the bends were factored in, our exhaust pipe length comes out to 135 feet.

Two options have been presented to me

1 - Route the pipes out to the side of the building. This would provide a shorter distance but would require us to have part of the basement ceiling to be torn up and then repaired. Also the location where the pipes would come out would send steam billowing in front of the kitchen window (something my wife objects to)

2 -Move the boiler to another location in the basement so it is next to an outside wall and vent it there. The water lines and electrical would have to be moved but no sheet rock work and it would be in a better location aesthetically

My question is: is there an alternative to moving the vent pipe or the boiler. Is there a device, such as a fan or pump of some sort, that could be connected in series with the exhaust that would allow the venting of exhaust gases over a greater distance?

Thanks very much for your advice!
Joe