Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am going to say this to get straight to the point. I would choose Trane if i were you. You have been impressed by sales rep. That cares trane, you want Trane and they make a great system if installed properly.

Although I sale Trane, have Trane in my home and have suggested getting Trane. I have no dog in the fight but if you fell comfortable withe the trane dealer and you want trane buy it you want be sorry as long as installed properly, serviced properly and have full warranty.

Yes I like Trane. I'm just trying to figure out why you decided on Trane. You do not have Trane at this house. Did you see a commercial? Does a friend have trane? What did you do to pick trane? Was it just-on line research or do you own another house with a Trane product?
    Always here

American Standard is the "generic" version of Trane. Same equipment without the advertising markup.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    If he diid all that and you feel comfortable with the price and the company sign the contract. Could have also made a mistake on the year of the old unit if you post the serial number someone will know what year it is . The unit he is proposing is a very nice unit
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    The problem with is you can always find a hack to do do a crappy job cheaper
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Unless you live far up North I have to question the need for a 60,000BTU furnace with only a 24,000BTU cooling load.
    I do agree with others though, you found your contractor.
    Look to the lowest output. A 60 that goes to 20 could be considered SMALLER than a 45 that goes to 30. The house might only need 40 worst case, but the 60 is a better fit, it can load match across more of the season.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Yes I like Trane. I'm just trying to figure out why you decided on Trane. You do not have Trane at this house. Did you see a commercial? Does a friend have trane? What did you do to pick trane? Was it just-on line research or do you own another house with a Trane product?
    My first home had a Trane. My parents home has a Trane. My best friend has a Trane. But I am not married to one so I am going to check a few other options as well.

Trane has really done well for themselves making people think that they are better than the other major brands. I am a Trane dealer, the only reason I even offer the Trane product is for that 1 out of 20 people that believe that its going to shoot gold dust out of the registers. Otherwise I offer them Coleman/York thats significantly lower in price, has a better warranty and better heating efficiency.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Libert, can you email me that manual on the York communicating zone system you were talking about in another thread, my distributer hasn't heard about it and I can't find any info. Sorry for the hijack

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Look to the lowest output. A 60 that goes to 20 could be considered SMALLER than a 45 that goes to 30. The house might only need 40 worst case, but the 60 is a better fit, it can load match across more of the season.
    Please tell me where you have found a 60/20 ratio, it's what I need for my own house when it comes to replace mine. Most units I've seen do about 2/3 of full power when on low mode.

Infinity mvc060. Now the mod. I believe american standard, and york. I think the rheem mod goes pretty low too.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    American Standard is the "generic" version of Trane. Same equipment without the advertising markup.
    Wow. Simply wow!.

The American Standard contractor rep came out today and did pretty much the same walk-thru, testings, calculations, etc. His price was WAY over what the Trance contractor rep quoted... I mean WAY over.

From what I can tell the quote is for the exact same equipment, but he said I needed a 2.5 ton because we like to keep the house cooler than normal. The Trane rep said 2 ton, but I didn't tell him we liked to keep it around 68-70 degrees in the summer.

Next up. A Bryant contractor...........

Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
    Wow. Simply wow!.

.. The Trane rep said 2 ton, but I didn't tell him we liked to keep it around 68-70 degrees in the summer.
    I guess some people might that it that way - if born in an igloo or similar.

You might turn into a ZomBIE at that temperature.
    + you can $pend 2 to 3 X a$ much a$ at 77'F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

With a smaller unit that removes more humidity you may be more comfortable at 72-74. Humidity has more to do with comfort than temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    With a smaller unit that removes more humidity you may be more comfortable at 72-74. Humidity has more to do with comfort than temperature.
    Excellent point!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast