Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 62

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71

    I Had Contractor Visit Today

    I had a contractor come out today. He spent over 3 hours here and about two of those hours were measuring and calculating my home. He went into the attic and crawlspace, inspected both the inside and outside units and did some tests on each. I was very impressed with not only his knowledge, but also at the end he was not pushing me to buy anything.

    I was kind of shocked that when he ran the numbers for my outside unit, it came back as not only a 3 ton unit (I thought it was a 2 ton) but he also informed the unit was built in 1988 (My house was built in 1998) So I guess the builder slapped an old unit in.

    The good news is both my attic (30-R) and walls (14-R) insulation was fine.

    The interesting news in after all his calculation/measuring he said my current AC unit is too big and I should go down to a 2 ton unit. The current gas furnace is 75,000 btu at 80%. He suggested to downsize that as well to 60,000 btu and of course the more efficient 97%.

    I know we can't talk price here, but I think I was given a very good price for a Trane 4ttr5024and a Trane XV95.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Sounds like he was pretty thorough. Still a good idea to get at least 2 contractors to figure and quoat 3 is better.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,997
    Did he do a partial home energy efficiency audit; sounds like he knows how to test the Btuh output of the A/C system, something most Techs need to learn to do for the customer.

    I'd say he is well above most in his skill level with an attitude that we like to see, without the high pressure selling routine...

    He left you a better informed much more knowledgeable person; that can be worth a lot more than most customers realize...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Sounds like he was pretty thorough. Still a good idea to get at least 2 contractors to figure and quoat 3 is better.
    The problem with is you can always find a hack to do do a crappy job cheaper
    We really need change now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    The problem with is you can always find a hack to do do a crappy job cheaper
    Yea bring in the next dude and share all the info that other guy gave you for free and he will give you x amount of savings, way of the world, nice guy finishes last. He should have closed the sale.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    1,242
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Yea bring in the next dude and share all the info that other guy gave you for free and he will give you x amount of savings, way of the world, nice guy finishes last. He should have closed the sale.
    I hate it when customers do that. I had a guy do it over XXXX on a dual fuel system and he had to call me 10 months later to come fix everything. He ended up paying me XXX for all the repairs leaving him with a grand total of XXX more than I quoted him to end up with a shotty installation and a heapin' helpin' of heartache.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-06-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: pricing
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

    -Alfred E Newman

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    I hate it when customers do that. I had a guy do it over XXXX on a dual fuel system and he had to call me 10 months later to come fix everything. He ended up paying me XXXX for all the repairs leaving him with a grand total of XXX more than I quoted him to end up with a shotty installation and a heapin' helpin' of heartache.
    You definitely have
    enough experience to know that
    the vast majority of homeowners are preset to be cheap and not tru$ting of Mechanical Contractor$.
    The understanding of HVAC and IAQ Value is not a virtue gained by a mental osmosis proocess nor inherited.
    HomeOwners actually have quite a formidable job to try to gain confidence, trust and understanding in the current environment.

    For example, how Many people PLAN on changing their systems out based on poor performance prior to "it's death".
    The only one's that will have proper information to do this will likely be the homeowners that have a trustworthy mechanical contractor performing semi-annual maintenance over a period of years.
    If you have read threads by Florida Joy here, you may be familar with a truly unique, smart individual who takes a significant amount of time to gain an understanding of the real HVAC and building envelope issues.

    If there were a real source of " word-of-mouth advertising", such as Wide spread use of a reputable Angie's List or SIMILAR , the trust of contractors would be more reasonable.
    Maybe the current 20's- 40's generation with a vast social media use will be able to better interact this way to effectively transition " the Hack" to a thing of the Past or at least a VERY Difficult environment for one to operate in.

    One can only HOPE.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-06-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: pricing from quote
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,670
    If he diid all that and you feel comfortable with the price and the company sign the contract. Could have also made a mistake on the year of the old unit if you post the serial number someone will know what year it is . The unit he is proposing is a very nice unit
    We really need change now

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    7,093
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Did he do a partial home energy efficiency audit; sounds like he knows how to test the Btuh output of the A/C system, something most Techs need to learn to do for the customer.

    I'd say he is well above most in his skill level with an attitude that we like to see, without the high pressure selling routine...

    He left you a better informed much more knowledgeable person; that can be worth a lot more than most customers realize...
    X2

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,167
    Post brand model and serial number of your outdoor unit.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    If he diid all that and you feel comfortable with the price and the company sign the contract. Could have also made a mistake on the year of the old unit if you post the serial number someone will know what year it is . The unit he is proposing is a very nice unit
    See below.

    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    Did he do a partial home energy efficiency audit; sounds like he knows how to test the Btuh output of the A/C system, something most Techs need to learn to do for the customer.

    I'd say he is well above most in his skill level with an attitude that we like to see, without the high pressure selling routine...

    He left you a better informed much more knowledgeable person; that can be worth a lot more than most customers realize...
    Yes, I got a lot of education from this forum so I went in with my eyes pretty much wide open. This forum has been instrumental in my thought process.

    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post brand model and serial number of your outdoor unit.
    This is the informantion he left me on my old outside unit:

    14 years old
    3 ton
    SEER - 9.1
    Model BRCS0361BD

    Unsure of the manufacturer, thought Goodman or Airpro?

    He said it was 15 years old, but then got a call from the person who did the search and came back with the built in 1988 and not 1998.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby View Post

    This is the informantion he left me on my old outside unit:

    14 years old
    3 ton
    SEER - 9.1
    Model BRCS0361BD

    Unsure of the manufacturer, thought Goodman or Airpro?

    He said it was 15 years old, but then got a call from the person who did the search and came back with the built in 1988 and not 1998.
    http://www.master.ca/documents/0BRCS...Guide-0103.pdf
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    71

    That's it. Funny how they say it is quiet because you can hear this 4 houses away. Also it doesn't blow straight up, if blows more to the side at perhaps 90 degrees

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event