so what do you do?
    This is probaly 10 or more years old and only two of the feeders are frosting.

3# low side and 140# head.

no change with adding gas.

I heard one guy say to replace the entire evap assembly.

what are the options?

thanks

havent been on the board long, and not meaning to be a SA, but you could start by asking in the PRO forum...am I right?
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

This is the correct forum.

We like to keep the residential questions in the pro forum.

R12: Change the coil or change the header. Some have posted a cleaning method. Use the search function. It's been discussed in the commercial forum.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

thanks Benny,

I was thinkering with the idea of chopping off the fixed metering devices and going with a TXV.

Feed THAT into a distributor and use equal length 1/8th inch copper tubing to run into the ports which had been fed via the fixed metering orfices.

You'd have a system which recovered better and run smoother.
    And NO MORE restrictions...

thats an idea I have been toying with for some time. Just never tried it yet.

Originally posted by R12rules
    thanks Benny,

I was thinkering with the idea of chopping off the fixed metering devices and going with a TXV.

Feed THAT into a distributor and use equal length 1/8th inch copper tubing to run into the ports which had been fed via the fixed metering orfices.

You'd have a system which recovered better and run smoother.
    And NO MORE restrictions...

thats an idea I have been toying with for some time. Just never tried it yet.
    Replacing with a TXV is your best option, as the orfices are liable to stop back up.

Installing the TXV is not that difficult if you have a distributer assembly. I once did this to a Carrier unit and also replaced one of the compressors and the condenser coil all in one day.

Here is a tip for removing the orfices, take your tin snips and cut the feeder tubes right past the orfice, then take your awl and open the tube back up and insert your 1/4 inch distributer tube.

Sorry, great, just great, I get an opportunity to help him out and I fumble . I was going to suggest finding a TXV that would work with the particular unit you are working on and installing it...but its already been suggested and I deleted my post and said what I said. So, did you find a TXV for the unit?
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

Cut each orfice tube and clean with denatured alcohol soaked Q-tips.Remove suction accumulator and clean it out or replace it.Replace filter driers. You know the rest of the drill.

I hav'nt tried this stuff but others have said it worked.

http://www.nucalgon.com/nucalgon/nuc...1?OpenDocument

I have had luck blowing nitrogen backeard through the system after I cut the drier out. Plug the line heading back to the condensor. Push nitrogen into the suction line access port. place a rag over the remaining open end of the liquid line to catch the crap that will come out. Make sure that the system is blown out real good, pull an awesome vacuum and charge by weight.

It worked good for me. Unit is still running strong a year later. Let us know what you end up doing to fix it.

I do three kinds of work.
    1 - Good - 2 - Fast - 3 - Cheap
    Pick two