+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this bad?

Post Likes

Is this bad?

Condensing bracket snapped wreaking havoc on the condensing coil. The repair wasn't pretty, but it worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Likes
    Been there done that
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Can we see repair pics?

Post Likes
    Gotta love it when that happens.

Post Likes
    It hurts more when the blade and motor was just installed and new

Post Likes
    Canyou say maintenance program.

Post Likes
    Yummy.

Post Likes
    Look like an EngAir, have had that happen to me once before.

Post Likes
    No after pics unfortunately, trust me, wasn't picture worthy. Basically cut out the fins in the affected areas, as you see in pic 3, cut the "pancaked" sections, pried up the ends and soldered in some 3/8. It was in fact an Engineered Air, our maintenance crew has now been instructed to check all condensing fan brackets.

Post Likes
    oh my.... it made a bit of a mess.... sell them a new one.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    That woul be the definition of a "bad deal". I'm almost always up for a good challenge....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    That woul be the definition of a "bad deal". I'm almost always up for a good challenge....
    Trade ya, got called out at 11pm to a plant on a Sunday night, same thing happened but the fan didn't quit running til they shut off the power to the condenser, when it fell it fell towards the electrical panel so none of the wires were yanked out the motor or contactor. Woke up by plant manager asking if I needed to get him a rental unit, said they heard a noise and saw smoke at the condenser. This was a big Trane unit for the main control room with a remote condenser, when the fan fell it took out 13 tubes. I had been in the trade about 5 or 6 years so I was anxious and shaky(2 years as an apprentice pretty much). Fixed all the tubes except for one that I was having problems with by 2am(when in a stroke of genius it dawned on me that the 60# of R-22 in my truck just wasn't enough LOL). Only could get ahold of one guy that would come out and help, he went by the shop and picked up 330# of freon and met me on site. He was one of our senior techs(he retired in 2000) and taught me how to solder a tube where you technically shouldn't be able to put a torch to solder a tube. We walked away from the unit at 9am the next morning.

Moral of the story is be careful about how challenged you want to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Trade ya, got called out at 11pm to a plant on a Sunday night, same thing happened but the fan didn't quit running til they shut off the power to the condenser, when it fell it fell towards the electrical panel so none of the wires were yanked out the motor or contactor. Woke up by plant manager asking if I needed to get him a rental unit, said they heard a noise and saw smoke at the condenser. This was a big Trane unit for the main control room with a remote condenser, when the fan fell it took out 13 tubes. I had been in the trade about 5 or 6 years so I was anxious and shaky(2 years as an apprentice pretty much). Fixed all the tubes except for one that I was having problems with by 2am(when in a stroke of genius it dawned on me that the 60# of R-22 in my truck just wasn't enough LOL). Only could get ahold of one guy that would come out and help, he went by the shop and picked up 330# of freon and met me on site. He was one of our senior techs(he retired in 2000) and taught me how to solder a tube where you technically shouldn't be able to put a torch to solder a tube. We walked away from the unit at 9am the next morning.

Moral of the story is be careful about how challenged you want to be.
    You don't say I'd have to pull an all nighter. I don't do well without or with very little sleep. Brain goes into lockdown mode.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in