Thread: Don't see this much

Post Likes

Don't see this much

Oil fired wtr heater. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349219457.801671.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  39.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    why do oil furnaces always get freakin barometric dampers but, everyone is so dang scared to install a barometric on a gas appliance.

geeeeeezzz!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    why do oil furnaces always get freakin barometric dampers but, everyone is so dang scared to install a barometric on a gas appliance.

geeeeeezzz!!
    Not sure, we never install 80% up here so never thought of it lol.

Post Likes

geeeeeezzz!!
    Because the gap between the water heater and the vent pipe serves that purpose and it doesn't need one.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't put this in the wall of shame. Other than the unsleeved oil line, these old Aero's worked fine. Bock's were the same. They can make more hot water than a family can use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    I wouldn't put this in the wall of shame. Other than the unsleeved oil line, these old Aero's worked fine. Bock's were the same. They can make more hot water than a family can use.
    Oil is very expensive is all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Because the gap between the water heater and the vent pipe serves that purpose and it doesn't need one.
    I was thinking furnace for some dumb reason

Post Likes
    A draft hood (or gap as you put it) serves a completely different purpose than a barometric. According to ASHRAE a draft hood isolates the appliance from the flue allowing combustion to take place without venting action. Since it disconnects the appliance, draft and air through the burner is completely uncontrolled. Draft hoods are designed for a specific set of conditions, which are; a vent of not more than 5 ft in height with 1 or 2 elbows. How often do those conditions get met in the field???

A barometric or draft regulator on the other hand allows for a consistent amount of air through the burner that does not change with changing conditions. Those of us who test for CO find draft hoods spilling quite often, either with higher than normal or lower than normal flue draft pressure. They are not safe under all conditions! A draft regulator is the only way to fix them. A spill switch added to the bottom of a double swing barometric will shut down the burner if the flue gets blocked.

Post Likes

geeeeeezzz!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    I was thinking furnace for some dumb reason

Wth guess he did say furnace.

Post Likes
    I work on quite a few oil burners but have only seen 2 oil fired water heaters. Most of them got changed to electric it seems.

Post Likes
    up here in CT i have worked on so many to oil fired water heaters the pain in the butt part is to clean them when there is no room for your brush

Post Likes
    I cleaned 2 today, we have tons of em' up here in Patriots country!

"I don't know why it be like it is, but it do"

Post Likes
    hey, that's cool! you can stick a power burner on ANYTHING!!!!LOLOL!!

never seen one.....but we don't have much oil down here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    A draft hood (or gap as you put it) serves a completely different purpose than a barometric. According to ASHRAE a draft hood isolates the appliance from the flue allowing combustion to take place without venting action. Since it disconnects the appliance, draft and air through the burner is completely uncontrolled. Draft hoods are designed for a specific set of conditions, which are; a vent of not more than 5 ft in height with 1 or 2 elbows. How often do those conditions get met in the field???

A barometric or draft regulator on the other hand allows for a consistent amount of air through the burner that does not change with changing conditions. Those of us who test for CO find draft hoods spilling quite often, either with higher than normal or lower than normal flue draft pressure. They are not safe under all conditions! A draft regulator is the only way to fix them. A spill switch added to the bottom of a double swing barometric will shut down the burner if the flue gets blocked.
    So your saying a 30 foot horizontal run is no good for a water heater
    Good point though on tje differnce between draft hood and barometric damper, ones powered and the others just natural drafted. Two totally different animals.

Post Likes
    So your saying a 30 foot horizontal run is no good for a water heater
    Good point though on tje differnce between draft hood and barometric damper, ones powered and the others just natural drafted. Two totally different animals.
    Even natural drafted appliances work far better with a barometric than with a draft hood.

Post Likes
    I'll admit I'm kinda new I've only been an HVAC tech for 5 years, while I've worked on a lot of oil burners (only a couple oil water heaters though) and always have a barometric on oil burners. But never never even heard of one on a natural gas natural draft water heater. Would it help on that has a vent that should work well but doesn't, for example one 90 elbow and say 3 ft horizontal then into an flex aluminum chimney liner, say 2 story house?

Post Likes
    might not have been code when it was installed in my area its grandfatherd untill you replace the line tank or valves

Post Likes
    that we do

Post Likes
    so if you have a gas water heater and you have a long flue run take off the natural draft hood and put on a barometric damper would be best i i thought that was so wind would not come down and blow out your pilot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in