Job ethics question

Job ethics question

Hoping somebody can help me out with a dilemna. The company I work for works mostly in our rural county. We have a job on thursday in the town where I live (population 1200) at my former employer. I was fired from this place based on untrue accusations.

The truth later came out, after I lost my job. I have moved on from this however my former employer has not. He is the type of guy who will hold a grudge and never admit he made a mistake. I have seen this guy several times since then and tried to be civil, only to receive dirty looks.

So my question is. Do I tell my boss that I might not be welcome there? If I do this I might not work at all that day. Or do I just not say anything and take my chances?

If you did no wrong then what's wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be straight forward with my current employer and advise him of the potential for an issue, and assure him that you intend to behave professionally.

your boss is not aware you worked there? did you not submit a resume'?
    Just mention that there may be some words said.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    I would be straight forward with my current employer and advise him of the potential for an issue, and assure him that you intend to behave professionally.
    I agree, because if he is not aware of it before hand, the dude that has beef with you may try to pull a fast one. if your boss knows ahead of time then he (if he is a good manager) should look past any crap he pulls and see it as a way for him to take a stab at you.

Good advice guys! Thats pretty much what I was thinking too. I had discussed it with one of my former coworkers who also knows what type of person he is, and he agreed with me. That I should discuss it with my boss. Tell him the circumstances and assure him that I will be professional and treat him as I would any other customer.

Coincidentally I did talk to them about him about 2 months ago. I told my boss about another local plumbing/heating contractor who did about 40000 thousand in work and tried for three years to get paid. They eventually sued them. My boss wrote down his name so he would remember to turn down any work from him. I guess he forgot.

make sure the invoice states all was working and or installed and left running..this guy is going to have a screw driver on it before you call into the shop leaving at the end of the day...let you boss know this guy is going to mess with the job and try to bury you...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I would have no issue with my guys telling me something like that. The reality is, put ten people in a dark room with a knife and a question, and a few will come out bloody. its just the way life is. there are "spins" or "leans" to every story. telling the truth just keeps you out of the mess.

Well I discussed it with my boss. I gave him some background on what type of person he is. I also assured him that I would be professional and not cause problems. He said he had no doubt I could handle the situation but he doesn't want to aggravate it either.

In the end we agreed I would go and if there is problems I will remove myself from the job and somebody else will take my spot.
    The other guy I work with says "if you leave I leave or I will tell this mf'er to leave us alone so we can do our job"

can't wait to see how this plays out. coincidentally it has been almost one year to the day I was discharged...... OHHH the irony!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty28 View Post
    Well I discussed it with my boss. I gave him some background on what type of person he is. I also assured him that I would be professional and not cause problems. He said he had no doubt I could handle the situation but he doesn't want to aggravate it either.

In the end we agreed I would go and if there is problems I will remove myself from the job and somebody else will take my spot.
    The other guy I work with says "if you leave I leave or I will tell this mf'er to leave us alone so we can do our job"

can't wait to see how this plays out. coincidentally it has been almost one year to the day I was discharged...... OHHH the irony!
    You were right to tell your current employer about the history you have with this other company. I can't help but think about how empowering it would be to walk into a place that felt you were not good enough (or whatever) to work for them. Now , they are in need of your services ! I have thought about a couple of my previous employers and while remaining professional is a must, a little condescension would feel like just deserts