RUUD UAND Series Retro-fit to Side Exhaust?

Hello and thank you for any help or guidance. The manufacturers in this industry are protective of their information, so I am hoping I can get some info here. My elderly folks have a RUUD UAND-036-JAZ Achiever Series Condensing Unit. It is a standard top exhaust model. The unit is installed under some stairs, and a contractor told us that a side exhaust model should have been installed, as the unit is overheating due to the stairs and lack of clearance..

The question I have is this. Are these RUUD units manufactured in such a way that would allow parts to be acquired to convert this unit to a side exhaust?

Seems to me that the design would be such that the same basic unit can be configured in different ways? Don't know if only some new sheet metal would be needed and some minor changes such as lengthening wires to the fan motor for the new orientation, or if a different condenser would be needed as well, assuming this change would even be possible?

There really isn't an easy site to move the unit to, so if possible, we would like to spend the money involved in moving the unit to address the overheating where it sits.

Thanks

A picture might help give ideas but about the only guess might be is a deflector to aim the air out if possible. But really the air is meant to be blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    A picture might help give ideas but about the only guess might be is a deflector to aim the air out if possible. But really the air is meant to be blow up.
    Thanks for the reply. I had thought about having a sheet metal deflector made, but there is only a small amount of space to the stairs, and so it would probably only do so much. Since I am told RUUD actually makes side exhaust models, that seems like it would be the best option if it is possible to convert, and not cost prohibitive.

BTW, the stairs are not solid. there is open air between the treads, but apparently the obstruction of the stairs is too much. Sixty inches of clearance is spec'd, and there is probably only two feet or so before the stairs are encountered.

Ruud doesn't make side discharge. Have to look at Bryant/Carrier/ICP or one of the York brands.