Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me where i can get some knowledge on these units. I have to check the econonmizers and dont know how. Any information on the units would be greatly appreciated.

Get your model numbers, and check the Trane web site for o&m manuals.

Trane has excellent tech support, too. If you can't figure something out, just call them.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

No manual in the cabinet? That wouldnt be surprising. Theres not alot to the economizers, just look at your wiring diagram and try to get your hands on the Service Lit. What kind of info are you looking for?
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

You should be able to find information on economizer check-outs in the manuals, call your local Trane office and ask for them. As far as Trane Tech Support goes, I’m told by my local Trane office that they don’t have Tech Support and when I have called them for help, they were not able to help me.

Originally posted by ralphtheplumber
    Get your model numbers, and check the Trane web site for o&m manuals.

Trane has excellent tech support, too. If you can't figure something out, just call them.
    Which Trane is that?? I was given 5 Trane numbers today to call for tech support just for one guy to tell me that my manifold pressure was high at 3.5wc, it should be in the negatives??? And the other guy tells me that the rooftop I am working on was is a residential unit..After all the phone calls and BS from trane..I figured the problem out myself. So, no...Tranes tech support sucks big time. I never call the manufacturer for help, today was the first time and probably the last.

these units have NOVAR?
    UA LOCAL 614...WE DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Always remember, those who hate you don't win, unless you hate them. And then, you destroy yourself. -Richard Nixon-

Trane has NO tech support. You have to call your local dealer (competition). That is the biggest BS I have ever hear of!!!! I get flaming mad when I think of Trane. The economizers circuitboards and communication to the RTU board is extremely difficult to troubleshoot. You are looking for something called the "Black book". It has all the procedures.

serial numbers are more important to trane but get both goto trane and have them print out IOM for you it is on thier computer not much online or you could purchase eagle cds.

Originally posted by incontrol
    Trane has NO tech support. You have to call your local dealer (competition). That is the biggest BS I have ever hear of!!!! I get flaming mad when I think of Trane. The economizers circuitboards and communication to the RTU board is extremely difficult to troubleshoot. You are looking for something called the "Black book". It has all the procedures.
    I,m sorry but the economizer circuit are not a big deal to troubleshoot. They are made by Honeywell.

Wow, no model or serial number but there's a whole lotta assumin' goin' on.
    I always use the "Black Book" with the UEM modules.
    If its Reliatel, yup, its Honeywell but whats with that comm bus? I havent figured out how to measure that yet. 3.5" on the manifold? Is that unit 2 months or 20 years old? I hated the old ice cube relays.

Glad you figured it out.

the "black book" is Publication 22-7706-06. this is good for the "Voyager" series of RTU's. if you have the "Precedent" series then you want to use RT-SVD03C-EN or the most current edition. from Trane's perspective, they want you to call the local Trane office for tech support and they want the local Trane office to call mama Trane. this helps them prevent "Tom's Small Engine Repair, Heating and Taxidermy" from taking up all of the call volume...puts it on the local office. unfortunately, not all local Trane offices have great in house tech support, sometimes you need to get a hold of feild tech's phone number.

there are 2 basic manifold gas pressures on the small Trane RTU's. -0.25" and +3.5". find out which unit you have before attempting to make any adjustments.
    How to make the perfect "Half-Hitch" knot or any other boyscout knot in 3 easy steps...

1. Remove your meter leads from the meter and very carefully return them to their storage case or bag.
    2. Wait 2 seconds
    3. Very carefully remove your meter leads from their storage place and enjoy your new knot!

Economizers are actually pretty simple. Learn the Honeywell 7459 and 7212 economizer modules and you will have mastered 90% of all the economizers you encounter.

You can download the specs on both of these economizer modules off the net.

Norm

Quote from Jayguy:"from Trane's perspective, they want you to call the local Trane office for tech support and they want the local Trane office to call mama Trane. this helps them prevent "Tom's Small Engine Repair, Heating and Taxidermy" from taking up all of the call volume..."

Exactly, but when I was doing the supervisor thing a few years back I would spend 2-3 days a week in the office. One of my duties was to field any tech support calls that came in from outside contractors.
    After the word got out that we offered this service I had no time left to do my other duties. Idiots were calling in for help before they even tried to troubleshoot for themselves. Usually something simple, but they wanted us to walk them thru it cuz it was a big emergency, and the customer was breathing down their neck. Most were not qualified to be working on this size equip. The ones that I wouldn't mind helping, never called. Because they knew what superheat, subcooling was, and how to troubleshoot an electrical circuit if no diagram was available.
    So before you rush to call for help, step back and ask yourself if you really are qualified to work on this piece of equip. If the answer is yes then you should know where to go to get the proper information. You may have to make a trip to the Local Trane Parts house, or Carrier, McQuay, etc, and get them to print out Service bulletins, Manuals etc.
    There is no silver bullet. A lack of planning/training on your part does not constitute and emergency on our part.
    HVAC2379: This post was not directed at your OP, you appear to be going in the right direction. Good luck in your quest.

[Edited by drivewizard on 10-15-2006 at 02:04 PM]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast