Thread: Tape!

Tape!

I have a question regarding the use of certain tapes when it comes to duct seams/fitting connections. Looking at code books, they state UL-181A tape is to be used for all joint connections. Does this tape have to have mastic/butyl? Because there are UL-181A rated tapes that are just foil backed tape. I'm sure it will come down to "whatever your local inspector says," but if the tape is UL-181A, I personally think the mastic/butyl portion does not matter. Just looking for general opinions out there.

Tape falls off. Its just a mater of time, and does not matter how well it was tested.

foil tape works best it barely falls off

Steveo86...I am thinking of using Polyken 339 foil tape...any brand name that you use?

cantech aluminum foil

I noticed over the years that everyone has a different way of taping things.

I personally use this RCD fiberglass mesh. http://rcdmastics.com/glasscoat-fiberglass-mesh.html

I then follow with foil tape,a good squeegee (sp?), and mastic. This tends to seal well and haven't had much problems since I started using the mesh.

It depends on the job for me, some get mastic tape and some get just foil. I think that polyken was the best but I never see it at our shop anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ru1212 View Post
    I have a question regarding the use of certain tapes when it comes to duct seams/fitting connections. Looking at code books, they state UL-181A tape is to be used for all joint connections. Does this tape have to have mastic/butyl? Because there are UL-181A rated tapes that are just foil backed tape. I'm sure it will come down to "whatever your local inspector says," but if the tape is UL-181A, I personally think the mastic/butyl portion does not matter. Just looking for general opinions out there.
    That is correct. Foil tape with UL-181 printed on it is the minimum required. Your local codes could be more stringent though.

181 w spray adhesive stays stuck.

hardcast brand 1402 mastic tape.
    as long as surfaces are clean and dry, this tape
    will seal.
    metal to metal..ductboard..sheetrock..wood..just about
    any surfaces except concrete.
    on hvac/duct jobs it is the only tape I use.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

http://www.naima.org/publications/AH105.PDF

UL 181-A is for ductboard
    181-B/ FX is for class 1 slinkies (flex duct)
    181-B-C is for zip ties
    181-M is for mastic

FSK stands for "Foil Scrim Kraft" and is NOT approved for sealing ducts. It may be used on external duct insulation once the actual duct has been properly sealed with the appropriate UL 181 rated product. BTW, since this is brown paper, it is quite combustible.

The code does not prescribe whether it has to be butyl backed or not but if you want to pass a duct blaster test, you will need the butyl backed tape. The tape you use must be imprinted so the inspector can be assured it is acceptable.